Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go down the rabbit hole of Ram forums, has anyone figured oot a way to increase the time of the heated mirrors on their Ram?

Some idiot of an engineer thinks 10 minutes or less is plenty to melt snow and\or keep snow melted oof the mirrors. In other words, I am constantly hitting the button to turn them back on.

As an aside, not sure if Furd got their poop in a group, but whoever the idiot is that thinks that not heating blind spot mirrors is a good idea needs to be shot. If heat on the main mirror is good, it's good on the blind spot as well. One thing Furd got right, the heated mirrors were automatic.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
769 Posts
On the newer Ford's the heated mirrors are controlled by a switch on the dash that now times out instead of having them on all the time with the front defroster like they were on the early 2000's.
Talk about a step backwards...

Edit: Ninja'd

· Registered
17,708 Posts
My chev is the same. The rear window defrost switch is linked to the mirrors so it times out. It's probably best as I have seen burnt mirrors on some vehicles where it didn't time out properly.
I do get annoyed by constantly having to hit the button but I remember the old days too getting out with the ice scraper almost every site.

· Registered
1,954 Posts
My chev is the same. The rear window defrost switch is linked to the mirrors so it times out. It's probably best as I have seen burnt mirrors on some vehicles where it didn't time out properly.
I do get annoyed by constantly having to hit the button but I remember the old days too getting out with the ice scraper almost every site.
got black plastic singed @ bottom mirrors here

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Before I go down the rabbit hole of Ram forums, has anyone figured oot a way to increase the time of the heated mirrors on their Ram?

Some idiot of an engineer thinks 10 minutes or less is plenty to melt snow and\or keep snow melted oof the mirrors. In other words, I am constantly hitting the button to turn them back on.

As an aside, not sure if Furd got their poop in a group, but whoever the idiot is that thinks that not heating blind spot mirrors is a good idea needs to be shot. If heat on the main mirror is good, it's good on the blind spot as well. One thing Furd got right, the heated mirrors were automatic.
I got on here at PS, and a couple of the first threads I come to, are of you complaining about something, maybe you should take notes from this guy...might help with your anger issues

· Registered
124 Posts

On my '16 F150 they were only automatic when you used the remote start. If you hopped in and turned the key they didn't switch themselves on, but if you remote started it from the house they would automatically kick on whenever it was below 35 or something like that. But they'd also shut off after 10 minutes, same as my Ram.

But, it doesn't bother me that they turn off; I store my fishstick in the center console cupholders when I'm not using it, so when I tuck the fishstick away I can just push the 'defrost' button again at the same time.

Besides, when it's below 15-20 degrees and I'm running the plow, the 'battery saver' mode shuts the heated mirrors off anyway. So I'd still be stuck turning them back on whenever I was done with each driveway anyhow, even if they were timed for an hour.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What really annoys me is freezing rain\drizzle. Makes it impossible to see with my mirrors. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to melt my mirrors when they're constantly being covered in freezing rain\drizzle.

Or when it's 10° or less. And snowing. Never melted a Ford mirror. I'd rather have low constant heat than high, short term heat.

There has to be a way to reprogram the timer. Guess I'll check on some RAM forums.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Registered
556 Posts
What really annoys me is freezing rain\drizzle. Makes it impossible to see with my mirrors. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to melt my mirrors when they're constantly being covered in freezing rain\drizzle.

Or when it's 10° or less. And snowing. Never melted a Ford mirror. I'd rather have low constant heat than high, short term heat.

There has to be a way to reprogram the timer. Guess I'll check on some RAM forums.
what if you took the live wire and spliced it into a upfitter, unless you use all 6 already?

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what if you took the live wire and spliced it into a upfitter, unless you use all 6 already?
#1 I don't have any upfitter switches.
#2 With all the computer BS I have a feeling something so simple would cause lots of issues.

· Friend, Mentor, Angel
1,872 Posts

Or when it's 10° or less. And snowing.
So the real issue is that you're a little weary of winter - I get that.

Just remember - accidents always happen in Reverse. Keep those mirrors clean.

Just wish that the manufacturers would realize that the camera systems on these new(er) trucks are useless in the GWN during winter. They ought to heat the cameras - they cover over at the first site.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So the real issue is that you're a little weary of winter - I get that.
I'm weary of a non-stop winter. Not being able to catch up or even keep up with all the repairs.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.