1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever been injured while managing snow and ice?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, done that. Luckily it was spring and I landed in a mulch pile.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

My employe was rushing to get ready, out the shop back door, twisted his knee, was out for three weeks, same for me here, out of the truck and on my a#$. Just hurt my pride. I always told the guys, slow and steady wins the race. Now none snow related injuries, lots of those.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Near me, but not me....

-Step out of truck, onto black ice, under truck. tail bone,lower back, back of head.
    -Thumb crushed grabbing truck door thinking it was locked as he was slamming it shut.
    -broken thumb ligament tear. frozen hand, grabbing equipment didn't realize the pressure that was being applied.
    -broken nose - doing something stupid boss not happy :D
    -twisted knee - working on loader and slipped off edge of pile

4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

before i plowed i was shoveling and i jumped out of the truck to start and I caught black ice but luckily I'm young so i was able to get my hands down in time and just had a little sore wrist but nothing really

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

This explains a lot...

6. Richie

Richie Junior Member

My boss was showing me how to operate a 625 case in a Shea Stadium parking lot he was on the phone talking to someone else he hit a drain stopped the 625 dead it was in 4 gear i flew hit the ceiling and window and then door window popped it open i am happy i didn't fall out the truck needed 8 stitches on the top of my head

7. Myshasta

Myshasta Junior Member
    from Alberta

Had snow drifting and hanging off a clients roof above the garage door. Not wanting the old folks to get beaned by an avalanche I got most of the drift off without going onto the roof; but being a perfectionist I just couldn't walk away with only part of the roof cleared off so I got their ladder out and set it up in front of the garage door. As I went to transition from the ladder onto the roof, I shifted my weight, the ladder slipped out from under me and I came crashing down. Ended up breaking my right heel and was out of commission for 4 months (3 months with absolutely no weight bearing on that leg as I had pins sticking out of my heel). Happened in January so being a solo operator I had to scramble to find someone to hep me out. Thanks Buckwheat!

Lesson learned:
    1. Always assess the hazards before every job and again if those plans change. I had developed a safe plan but failed to reassess the hazards when I changed my original plan. In taking the first bit of snow down some fell onto the drive and made the driveway slippery (go figure). There was also a slight slope to the drive where I set the ladder up. I totally missed both of these hazards when I deviated from my original plan.

2. Right tool for the job. I didn't have one of those inverted roof shovels. I had looked for on at every in town and couldn't find one that day so improvised by standing in the box of my toolcat which worked great allowing me to get about 4 ft up the roof from eave. The roof shovel with the extendable handle would have allowed me to get it all while standing safely on the ground. I now have 2 roof shovels and haven't used them since I bought them 4 years ago but they were a relatively cheap purchase.

3. If you have planned a job with the hazards in mind and safely using the tools available, stick to that plan. Not having a roof shovel I devised the plan to stand in the box of my toolcat and pulled most of the snow down into the box eliminating the need to clear much off the driveway. This worked great and I really didn't need to go onto the roof. I should have stopped when I had completed the job using the plan I had devised for safely using the tools at hand. It was my last minute decision to deviate from the original plan the ended with me being injured.

8. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

MJD sorry for another Fire Dept comment but it should help. I was the Chair of the Health and Safety Committee so dealt with this a lot. We had several snow and ice related injuries.

Personally I jumped out of the rig like mark talks about and lost my footing and fell down into a bar ditch. Partially tearing my left ACL which eventually tore all the way a couple years later.

We had a concussion.

We also had several back injuries, one of which lead to a back surgery.

We also had an incident where we dropped a person strapped to a backboard when all 4 guys carrying it went down on ice.

We implemented a mandatory boot chain program. Boot chains were supplied to each person and if there was snow or ice conditions it was mandatory to use them. We also reinforced our policy of always maintaining 3 points of contact when entering or exiting a vehicle, ladders as well but that doesn't apply.

How much the 3 point contact helped can't really be measured, but once the boot chain policy went into place, up until my retirement, we didn't have any more slip and fall injuries on the ice.

9. On a Call

On a Call PlowSite.com Addict

I have too many times jumped out of a truck only to realize I should done so a bit slower. It seems my wrist takes the fall more than anything else.

I did however one icy season put sheet metal screws in the bottoms of my boots and used them for ice fishing. They worked great.

However I do think certain places did not appreciate me wearing them and walking one their hard floors. But I never fell.

10. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Hey look how old this thread is. I failed to look at the date after the Myshasta comment :hammerhead:

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It's timely, today while waiting for my salt delivery guy to CB his office for the correct amount, I was reading the trucks door jamb. It has a sticker explaining how to get in and out properly....I guess this isn't covered on the road test.

ktfbgb likes this.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hey, look posts disappear becuse .??
    Yet theos post(s)fell well inside TOS and et was on topic...

13. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Guess I missed something?

SnoFarmer likes this.
  14. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

I removed your post as it wasn't relevant so, as I always ask, move on and don't take the thread off topic

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I had posted aboot waiting for my trigger deapth to be reached , I fell & hurt my elbo.

But, I'm informed it was Not relevant to the topic at hand.

ktfbgb likes this.
  16. Michael J. Donovan

no, you posted about falling off a bar stool so, as I said, move on and enough with the nonsense to take things off course

thanks and back on topic

17. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

I should add, since I posted about the boot chains. I would not recommend wearing the boot chains while operating a vehicle. We did at the FD but there is a lot more clearance around the pedals, and sometimes the chains would still get hung up momentarily. I would say boot chains for sidewalk crew guys. For boots for drivers I might try some some studs next year. If you google heavy equipment DIY tire studs, most companies sell lengths designed to screw into boots. I think they would help greatly with slip and fall injuries and would not get hung up while driving.

On a Call likes this.
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I sure did, while I was waiting, I was sitting on one.

Again with all dew respect it was on topic,
    As I was actively managing my snow operation from a stool.

All fall inside TOS and the topic at hand.

To be blunt, you took it off topic.

Reguards,
    Sno

19. Michael J. Donovan

as I said, back on topic and move on...not asking again

thanks

20. On a Call

On a Call PlowSite.com Addict

I did laugh at that one...thinking hmm...drinking and then heading out salting :)

Better than doing that and plowing I guess.

Did know a guy who every snow fall had a 12 pack with him.

But this to is off topic.

Do not walk on ice after drinking too much. Do not jump out of trucks either.

The worst was a heavy freezing rain....we always try to pretreat but this time we were caught with our pants down. Got out late. What a mess....trucks slipping around, trucks all iced up.

Good post...watch out.

Again I love putting sheet metal screwing in the soles of me boots but do not use those long ones :) or use those pull on one not the cheepo's but the good ice fishing kind.

SnoFarmer likes this.