Hand Radios

CT18fireman

Banned
I know many of you use nextels. I stay away from them because of a problem with the dealer in my area and service. I have a plan through Verizon so all the drivers have phones and free calling between them. I have been looking at the handheld radios. They advertise that they have a 5 mile range. I think that these would work better for between driver communication and leave the phones for calling customers, home, etc. Anyone using these? Give me your comments.

I use Motorola P-50's (I think that model) in addition to the truck-mounts. Good battery life, reception up to about 2 miles in the cab of the backhoe. Me thinks 5 miles is a little iffy without getting into higher wattages and larger antennas.

PlowSite.com Addict
I think range may also be affected by the geography of where you're at and other real-world factors - up north 2 miles is probably about it, I'm guessing that the advertised "5 miles" is under the proverbial ideal conditions (stable weather, line-of-sight transmission etc)

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
In highly populated areas, you end up having to "share" a frequency. That's why 2 ways are not so popular around here.

~Chuck

SlimJim Z71

PlowSite.com Addict
We're currently using those little two-ways that are becomming so popular for families at our dealership so we can communicate with our service advisors. Granted, the dealership I work at is a very large building, but it's still nowhere near the 2-mile range when they start losing their signal. Even line of sight, I don't think they'd make it 2-miles. I'm not sure if the 5-mile versions live up to their expectations, but for general use (close to eachother) I think they do okay.

Tim

My father and mother -in-law use the consumer radios to keep in touch from the barn to the house. Beyond that, they say they get iffy, especially when a hill gets in the way.

Stick to the professional handhelds for any range. Even then, I have never got more than two miles range from our Motorolas. We have very few people here, relative to large centres, so we do not have to share frequencies. It saves us on cell phone useage and allows more conversation.

The truck-mount radios are good for about 10 miles, truck to truck.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I think that for most plowing routes regualr CB's would work ok. In fact John Allin insists that all subs that work for Allin Co's have a cb.
Dino

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I cant comment on that, but in Maine while delivering fuel to the wood crews, my bud uses his cb to annouce his position on the road as an alert to on coming traffic.
Dino

John Allin

PlowSite.com Addict
Guess you have to define "work". I know alot of plowers that don't think it's "work" at all.

And....an awful lot of truckers are in for a rude awakening if they can't use CB's for 'work'....

We've been using them for same site communications for decades. In fact, all the plowing contractors use them here. 15 years ago it was the ONLY way to communicate to each other, cause we got hoarse shouting out the windows.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
Breaker 19 please remove your shoes- over.
Negative -JA Plower, my feet will get cold when I get out of the truck to buy a coffee- over
Roger that rookie plow boy, I was speaking of the shoes on the plow- over
Roger that Ja plower, didnt know the plows wore shoes- over and out.

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
If you pull into a quarry, or dump site around here, you need to tune to channel 19, or you will not know where to go to get loaded, or the operator will bury your 1/2 ton under 8 yds of crushed stone.

~Chuck

Rooster

Sammy,

Traditionally, back when using a cb required a license from the FCC, Channel 16 was the traditional business channel in my area.

Now, cb's are not required to be licensed. It always has been illegal to use a ham radio for business purposes.

Just talking to another plower on the same lot makes communication fast, easy and convient. If you use a cell phone, you dial talk hang up etc. A low priced truck mounted cb will work for the same area.

Most plowers for the big companines in my area have a business radio, but also have a cb, just in case any problems arise and another company truck is not close by.

I have fought tooth and nail to used the old saying for a contract, but if another plower was in trouble, I never hesitated to answer a call for help, likewise when the situation was reversed.

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
We use a business band radio system, with 2 channels, and a talk around channel.

The talk around channel is good for truck to truck trafic when working in a lot. The other two channels are used by all trucks.

Geoff

BRIMOW525

In the past we rented 2 way radios on a repeater system that has about a 50 mile range...BUT if the towers go out then your S.O.L. I will probably just use a CB and forget about any FCC stuff

Last edited by a moderator: