1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

GVW busters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lars, Aug 13, 2001.

  1. lars

    lars Junior Member
    Messages: 21

    Has anyone downsized from class 7/8 trucks to class 6 (26,000# max) trucks. A 26,000# F650 has a rated payload of 17,000# (no body) and a 33,000# F750 has a 22,000# payload. It seems that 17,000# can hold most anything in a standard 10 ft dump body and the extra payload will just go to waste. Is there any real advantage that outweighs hiring a CDL driver and paying more for a truck, especially when one can get the same frame, engine, and transmission options? A 33,000# Mack is better than an F650 for many obvious reasons but I would just like to consider Ford F650's, GMC 6500's, International 4700's etc.
  2. GeoffD

    GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran
    Messages: 2,266


    An F 650, gmc 6500, or internation 4700, are only non cdl trucks when equiped with hydro breaks.

    When hydro breaks are ordered you can't get the bigger engine or tranmissions. With hydros i don't think you can get a engine over 250 hp, and your trans and rear end combos are very limited.

    When you get air breaks the truck becomes a cdl truck, then you can get bigger engines, and better trans.

    Once you start getting multiple cdl trucks, you just start training your non cdl drivers and they get there cdl. Almost all of my employees have there cdls.

    I run both cdl trucks and non cdl trucks. The truck is speced to do a job, if it needs to be speced as cdl it is. I don't really like driven to the limit. I would rather have air breaks on any truck over 20000 gvw anyways.

  3. diggerman

    diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames
    Messages: 700

    Actually I think that Int 4700 can exceed the 26,000 GVW.I have eight dumps from 6 to 21 ton load capacity and there alot of things that have to be kept very up to date and in order if you are going to run a truck that require a CDL.
  4. plowking35

    plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT
    Messages: 2,923

    In fact any truck that has commercial plates driven by an employee requires that person to have a CDL and medical card. It may only be a class C cdl, but he has to have it. The only exception I believe is the owner of the vehicle.
  5. diggerman

    diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames
    Messages: 700

    Iowa does not have commercial plates as such,but I do agree that anytime you are running a truck for hire that is below the 26000lbs and are not the owner of the vehicle I think you need to have a CDL.