1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Got a question about hiring a driver

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kosty, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. Kosty

    Kosty Member
    Messages: 91

    I have a buddy that wants to plow this season but he wants me to get the truck and he will plow my accts on the other side of town. I dont have insurance, except my regular insurance. I want to get it but im restarting this year and the first time i did it i never had insurance either, but i want to make a serious bussiness this time around. If i hired him what do i have to do for insurance do i need to open a DBA and get insurance and what kind of insurance? What will happen if i just get regular insurance and he gets into an accident with my truck?
  2. SnoFarmer

    SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN
    Messages: 9,883

    If he gets in to an accident plowing for you, your life as you know it will be gone for ever.:waving:
    One, your regular insurance is not going to cover any thing.
    So, you will be responsible for every thing, Do you really know what that could mean?
    Lets say he hits some one with the plow and they can't work and your driver gets hurt too, do you have workers comp to cover your worker?

    The party he hit will sue you!!!! And your driver too.:nod:

    Do you have your companey set up as an LLC if not they will take every thing you own and will own, until the debt is payed off. So, do your self and your driver on your policy . A
    A lot of places won't even hire you if you do not have insurance.
  3. scottL

    scottL PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,613

    Yes, at least go LLC. Do not hire him directly have him as a subcontractor. This then limits your insurance needs and liability. As for the truck if you buy it and have him drive it for you .... rent it to him as a taxi might be rented, or a waiter rents a table in a fancy restraunt. Required him to carry his own workers comp and plowing insurance. This then puts the primairy ownes on him and not you.

    But, always check with a lawyer for your state first.
  4. JennyB

    JennyB Junior Member
    from SE MI
    Messages: 12

    Keep in mind that if you hire him as a subcontractor, he must have liability insurance also. The gov't is very specific as to who is a subcontractor vs. an employee. Make sure you follow those guidelines, other wise he is an employee and you are still liable.