Goes Up, Left, Right, Down (well..not all the way down)

fudgeythewhaler

I am new to the plowing stuff.

Spent the day troubleshooting and got the plow to go up, left, right and down

Problem I am having is that the "down" won't go all the way down so the blade touches the ground but the ram is still really extended and tension on the chain.

I am thinking a sticking S1 valve.

Thoughts???

JFon101231

If it's going down and just stops after the weight is off, it's not likely to be an s1 (though that is possible). What I would do first is spray some WD-40 or silicone or whatever you have where the Chrome rod goes into the seal. It has worked for me before when I thought there were bigger issues. Sometimes things get very dry especially if they have been sitting awhile

(Other things like quill adjustment and/or the packing nut too right have never been things I've experienced unless when it's going down before the weight comes off VERY slow)

OP
F

fudgeythewhaler

I sprayed a little lubricant on the shaft and got it to do down a bit more. With that would you say rod is filthy? I will try again tomorrow after the lubricant sit some more. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Lift it all of the way up ,
Put jack stand under it, to hold it all of the way up. Now set it down on the jack stand and
Shorten up the chain.
lift it up remove the jack stand and lower the plow. Use the plows weight to help collapse
The ram. You can stand on the plow frame to add more weight.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Sorry, my bad. I thought you had said that you needn't worry about pitting since fluid can't get to the top side if the ram where it might leak out. Since it's single acting and all

The nicks would have what to do with a bad gland/packing?

there shouldn’t be fluid on that side, and if there was it wouldn’t stop it from collapsing.

If there was fluid on stinger side the fluid would slow down the extension as it sprayed out of the dust seat.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
The nicks would have what to do with a bad gland/packing?

there shouldn’t be fluid on that side, and if there was it wouldn’t stop it from collapsing.

If there was fluid on stinger side the fluid would slow down the extension as it sprayed out of the dust seat.

The nicks/pitting destroys the packing and wiper in the nut. That let's fluid to the side it shouldn't be on. It then leaks past the damaged wiper. So people (wrongly) try to fix it by tightening the nut to put more pressure on the rod and hopefully stop the leak long enough to sell it before it leaks again. But yes, pitting in and of itself will not stop it from lowering.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
The nicks/pitting destroys the packing and wiper in the nut. That let's fluid to the side it shouldn't be on. It then leaks past the damaged wiper. So people (wrongly) try to fix it by tightening the nut to put more pressure on the rod and hopefully stop the leak long enough to sell it before it leaks again. But yes, pitting in and of itself will not stop it from lowering.

the nicks only pass buy a wiper/dust seal
That is in the nut at the end of a tube.
there isn’t any fluid that could be effected.
as there is only air on that side of the
Packing/gland. The fluid is on the other side.

the gland/packing on the end of the nicked stinger . It deals against the tube.

how do the nicks effect the tube and gland/packing?

Ok tightening the wiper seal could ****** it’s collapsing, (dry) and some might think it will stop a leak
, but if it had fluid on the wrong side it wouldn’t
Extend all of the way ether , hydro locked

so there are 2 issues a bad dust seal and a
bad gland/packing.

Last edited:

Top Forums