1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Getting some extra lift.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Crumm

    Crumm Senior Member
    Messages: 529

    I am sure 80% of you know this trick but until today I did not so this is for the other 20%. While plowing today I was stacking snow across a ditch. I pulled a little to far ahead once and the front end slipped down in the ditch a little. Needless to say I was stuck and stuck good. I could rock back and forth a few inches but even after digging out the tires and under the plow I still could not get it to come out. Most of the problem was even with the plow all the way up it was still trying to back-drag its way out of the pile. It then dawned on me how to get some more height. I lowered the control, got out and manually pushed the lift arm down and then hooked the lift chain very short. When I raised the plow on the short chain it raised up way above the lights and I backed right out of the ditch. Since the plow would not come within a foot of the ground on the short chain I had to set the blade on another snow pile and hook the chain on the proper link. I thought this might help someone out of a snow pile sometime since I know from time to time I get stuck on the blade while stacking.
  2. GripTruk

    GripTruk Senior Member
    Messages: 374

    That trick can also be used if your pump breaks and you need to get home.
    Push into a pile like you are stacking, or slowly up a curb so the plow is higher than the ground. Hook the chain short and you will be able to drive since it can't drop to the ground anymore.