gcvw 74-82 3/4-1ton

omle64

I am considering rebuilding an older chevy truck to tow a fifth wheel trailer (don't own either yet). If anyone knows where I can get the gcvw or the recommended towing capacities for 74-82 3/4 and 1 ton trucks I would appreciate it. Also if anyone has any ideas about the best tranny/ rear end ratios to use it would be great. I am considering a 2wd truck with a 454. Thanks for any help or comments.

PlowSite.com Addict
Can't offer any numbers as far as GCVW or recommended towing capacities goes, I can say that my C-35 with 350/Turbo 400/4.10 rears pulls great but gets lousy fuel mileage! It CAN do up to about 85 mph, but it's a lot happier around 60 - 65 mph tops!

When you say "fifth wheel trailer", are you referring to a flatbed or camper trailer, and do you intend to do a lot of highway cruising or do you need plenty of "launch power" for heavy loads in town?

Just thinking out loud, for highway I would feel something along the lines of a 3.73 rear axle would be a good choice. If it's going to be working around town, 4.10.

That's just me thinking out loud - some of the other members are more qualified than myself to answer your questions!

OP
O

omle64

For clarification purposes: I am planning on pulling a fifth wheel travel trailer mostly on the highway. I would be most appreciative of anyone whom could tell me how heavy of a fifth I can safely pull with the 3/4 and 1 ton. Thanks for your help.

PlowSite.com Addict
Thanks - that clears things up a bit!

You mentioned 454, so I'm going to go "out on a limb" and suggest something along the lines of 454/Turbo 400/3.73 rear.

Not sure how many manual trans options there were in those years, I do know that my work truck ('79 C-30 dually cab & chassis) has the grunt-low 4 speed and while it's a great work truck transmission, you might not like it the best for long distance towing.

I don't know what 5'th wheel travel trailers generally weigh in at (They're a little out of my price range! :( ) but the fifth wheel flatbed trailer I built weighs in at around 4,000# empty, I've pulled it with a couple of tons+ on there for a total trailer weight of around 9,000# and mine handled it with no problem. (I might add that was a 6,400 mile round trip out to Yellowknife NWT and back! :eek: Young and foolish then, glad I went but don't think I'd do it again!)

IMO, a truck like you're describing should handle any tandem axle fifth wheel travel trailer just fine. Three axle ones might be getting a b-i-t big.

If you go automatic, definintely hang a big transmission cooler on it!

A gasser is going to like it's fuel on those long trips - any thoughts on going diesel, other than the fact that back then the 6.2 was all you could get?

Top Forums