Gas vs Diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Fourteen Contracting Inc., Jan 9, 2020.

1. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you run live pto off a gas?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter, RAM doesn't have live PTO.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

Time to upgrade to fords...
    Lol

BUFF likes this.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Been there, done that. Dealers suck.

Still own 3 Furds. One I just bought this summer.

5. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

He already owns three diesels... Don't see the need for another as he has a towing truck out of the three already...

But for snow I would buy gas with his fleet already... My 150-200k 5.4's will push just fine no need to have all kinds of torque of a diesel...

If someone has that much wet heavy snow down already they can't push they better get up earlier...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Kinport likes this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

K

7. Mark Oomkes

So plowing "with the storm"?

You're in lake effect country, you know what a fallacy that is, unless you only have 1 hour routes per piece of equipment.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My 2004 E350 has 390K, it was a 5.4, more like a 5.5 now.

Kinport and BUFF like this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Not very hard on an engine hauling around puppies and free candy...

BUFF, 1olddogtwo, Mr.Markus and 2 others like this.
  10. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

You know a good flatulent will get rid of a couple inches of LE. And yes LE is a crap shoot for how long... A heavy wet system can be at least gauged for its timing somewhat.

I probably do stuff a bit backward as I don't have some big long route for my trucks I think four properties is tops. I had people calling saying they need plowed that last gem that was 3" between 4am and 9am ish. You were hit once and we'll be back shortly... Most sites I have dedicated manpower and they don't leave till its done snowing. I just don't want to be called saying we're under performing...

I am 75% diesel and if I had the choice would just go gas for another plow truck. Most likely due to expense, maintenance costs etc... The days of $1 cheaper a gallon diesel are over... But I also probably would not buy a brand spankin new gas truck either for a plow truck...

Plus every plow and spreader we own I have installed and have you ever tried finding a place for a solenoid and fat wiring harnesses under todays diesel hoods...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  11. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO

12. Kvston

Kvston Member

I own two Ram 2500's with 4.10 rears and 6.4 Hemi's. Buddy has a 2019 3500 CCLB cummins with same specs. He wins towing, I win in price and lower cost of ownership. He has the diesel for towing 14-16K loads often. I have a 3500 with a 5.9 common rail to do that.

If you aren't going over 5k on towing, go Hemi. Get the 4.10's. They flat out move snow fast. No DEF, no crazy sensor stuff like modern diesels. I have a 9.5 XV2 on one and a 8.5 HD2 fish on the other-one with 2 yard salter.

13. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

My 12000 lb gas dump has loads of power .I saved 10 k over the diesel model ,save on gas compared to diesel $ ,still got the bullet proof allision. Tow 15k all day long. But unless you have a time machine this mighty 8.1 496 is just a thing of the past.:cry:

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

8.1 our gas stations aren’t close enough together for that...

BUFF, Philbilly2 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  15. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

With the drop tanks I have a range of 80 miles.

the Suburbanite likes this.
  16. Mister Nature Lawn Care

Mister Nature Lawn Care Junior Member

Do the 6.4 Hemi do well compare the 5.7 hemi or should 6 7 Cummins work better?