Gas vs Diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Fourteen Contracting Inc., Jan 9, 2020.

1. Fourteen Contracting Inc.

Fourteen Contracting Inc. Senior Member

Apologies if this topic has been done to death but I was hoping to get opinions on gas vs diesel on a 350/3500 series truck.
    I am in the market to lease a newer truck... the truck will be used for snow plowing / salting in the winter and irrigation in the summer. Max it would have to pull is 5000 lbs.
    I have never plowed with a gas truck. I currently have three trucks in my fleet that are diesel.
    - 2005 F250 sick.0 superduty
    - 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins
    - 2014 F350 6.7 L diesel.
    I find that the issues I have with the newer diesels all result from the exhaust system (sensors malfunctioning, DEF heaters breaking down)
    Oddly enough the sick.0 F250 runs well but it's being replaced due to rust.

2. SilverPine

SilverPine Member

I plow with a ram 2500 5.7, its more than capable. With a full load of salt in it, I prefer to be in my duramax though.

That being said. The 6.4 hemi has me interested.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

I can tell you as someone who has both... I have a diesel for my personal truck. Why... don't know? I have been purchasing gas trucks for my company just due to the raw fact that it don't make dollars so it don't make sense for me to buy diesels for the company.

When it comes down to dollars and cents, with the price of diesel and the lower MPGs on the new generation diesels, it will be hard re-coop the $10K wack for the diesel. Unless you are pulling a lot of weight or pushing snow every single day, getting the investment back will be very tough.

m_ice, White_Gold11, EWSplow and 3 others like this.
  4. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

To add to what Phil said the newer diesels can be very finicky and cost a lot more in repairs... Seems like someone's always complaining about their new Kummings with emissions issues...

BUFF, m_ice, Philbilly2 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you go with a gasser, get the lowest gear ratio available.

I have a 6.4 with 3.73s and it sucks. And blows.

6. OP
    OP
    Fourteen Contracting Inc.

Thank you guys for your opinions. Great advice.

7. Drock78

Drock78 Senior Member

I have a 6.4 gas with 4.10 gears and like it. A new one should have the 8sp trans and is even better yet.

8. OP
    OP

Thinking of going chassis cab 6.4 with the Aisin transmission (apparently it's available on gasser chassis cab models) lowest gear ratio looks to be 3.42. Obv. Going to have to check with the sales manager.
    Currently running an electric salter (1.5 yard capacity)... would it make sense to get a PTO to be able to go hydraulic? Or do hydraulic salters only make sense when they are much larger?

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No.... because the PTO on Aisins don't work while in motion. Only Furds do that right now.

10. OP
    OP

Gotcha, I'm guessing it doesn't work with the regular transmission as well? Also, I think I'm confused, 4.10 would be the lowest gear ratio correct? 3.42 would be the highest? Or flip those around?

11. Drock78

Drock78 Senior Member

Yes. 4.10 lowest

12. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

We run gas pick ups and diesel medium trucks.

6.0 Chevy 2500s w/4.10s work great for me in WI winters.

Most of our repair time and money is in the diesels. About 90% lol. Always something. They however can get many many more miles than the gassers.

Neighbor runs all diesels and has a 2018 F550: Oil filter rusted thru and ran all the oil out. His F350 diesel blew out the freeze plugs. His cummins works great but the dodge body and electrical is a POS.

13. Philbilly2

4.10 is lower than 3.42

For every 1 turn of the ring gear the pinion will turn 4.10 times
    as is
    For every 1 turn of the ring gear the pinion will turn 3.42 times

14. OP
    OP

Yea, I was getting confused with 'does more turns mean higher and less turns mean lower' ? But in terms of a ratio 1:4 is lower than 1:3. Thank you for the explanation.

15. Philbilly2

Correct. The actual way that gear ratio is supposed to be said would be 4.10:1

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

How does that happen to a oil filter?

Plugs blowing out?

BUFF, NYH1 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  17. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

It's an 18 not changing your earl for two years...

BUFF and NYH1 like this.
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I am primarily a diesel guy. For the avg Joe, gas all the way.

Nobody can believe I bought a gasser last month.

19. Kinport

Kinport Member

We bought our first gas motor plow truck (5.4 F250 with an 8.2 V) this fall. After using mostly diesels to plow I was worried I would hate it but have actually been pleasantly surprised. Fuel economy isn’t so far behind our diesels that I would really notice it(not true of the 460 F250 plow truck that my uncle owns and I occasionally run on the farm). It comfortably hauls 6000 lb trailers, and I did use it one time to move a 303.5 mini ex(about a 12000 lb load when you add the weight of the dump trailer) but that was not something it loved. All 3 of the newer gas motors your looking at have oodles more power than my truck, I think a gas motor will do everything you want and do it well. One other upside to mine(although this won’t necessarily be true for you with a new truck) is I can buy an entire replacement engine for the cost of a turbo and injectors in my diesels. So there’s that.

20. NYH1

NYH1 2000 Club Member

Same here, works great.

NYH1.