1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

fuel pump/fuel gauge sending unit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blublzr, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. blublzr

    blublzr Member
    Messages: 35

    can anyone help me out!!! how do i find out the exact part number of my fuel pump/fuel sending unit. according to the parts distributor there are two different ones listed. my truck is a 99 silverado(new bodystyle)with an extended cab and an 8ft bed. will anything in the vin number help.

  2. schnitz

    schnitz Member
    Messages: 98

    Call any local GM dealer and tell them what you have. They'll ask for the last 8 digits of the vin, and from those numbers, they can more than likely tell you which one you have. I also just called my local parts store, and they said they only list one for that truck (I guessed on you having a 5.3, might be wrong on that, but...). Hope that helps.

  3. Robhollar

    Robhollar Senior Member
    Messages: 766

    Pull it and take it with you to the parts store and let them do their job....Rob
  4. Breck75

    Breck75 Senior Member
    Messages: 111

    I just changed mine 2 wks ago. The only way to find it out other that calling the GM dealer is to look at the tag on the fuel pump. The trick to that is that it is on the top side of the fuel tank. I called the GM dealer and he looked it up for me no problem however, the one he wanted to sell me was $120.00 more than the one I bought at the auto parts store. If you can't find the right number e-mail me and I will look at my paperwork and get you the number. kbrecker583@yahoo.com. If I get a chance in the a.m after work I will look it up and post the number. If you e-mail me it will spark my memory to do it. :nod: I also have a 99 chevy 1/2 ton new body style. The one I bought was the cheaper one of the two. Breck
  5. Breck75

    Breck75 Senior Member
    Messages: 111

    My dad and I changed mine and the easiest way was to un-bolt the box and set it back a couple of feet. Otherwise you will have to try and disconnect the wire harness and the air lines blind before you can drop the tank. Taking the box off may sound like a lot of extra work however, it only took us about 2 hrs from start to finish to complete it. I think there was only 6-8 bolts holding the box on. The back bolts you can get to by going through the hole in the frame and the front bolts are on the outside of the frame. If you decide to go this route, the bolts shouldn't be to much of a problem getting loose because its a newer truck. Good luck. Breck
  6. Breck75

    Breck75 Senior Member
    Messages: 111

    blublzr, the part number from my invoice is E3500M. I can't remember what brand it was so hopefully this will help you. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Breck :waving:
  7. JMR

    JMR Senior Member
    Messages: 567

    Use this link to AC Delco's web site. Type in the VIN and then go to the parts category you need. It will give you the Delco part # for the pump. JMO and being in the business, I would use a Delco pump. The aftermarkets can't seem to make a pump that will last as long as the OE. If you want to use aftermarket a parts house should be able to cross from the Delco #. http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index.htm
  8. JMR

    JMR Senior Member
    Messages: 567

    I quickly looked up a fuel pump for a 99 Silverado and check all 3 engine options. Delco shows 4 different fuel pump possibilities depending on option and broadcast codes. A VIN # should narrow it down. Aftermarket may make a more generic pump to get it down to 2 options??