Snow Plowing Forum banner

Frozen nuts & bolts

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  racer0175 
#1 ·
I recently acquired an 82 K20 that has many frozen nuts & bolts. Does anybody know of a chemical that can be applied to these nuts & bolts to aid in loosening them? I have already tried WD40 & PB without success. If there's anything else worth trying, I'd like to know about it.
Mucho Gracias!:)

#3 ·
Try use the small propane torch. I remember a few years ago when I am working on replacing the badly rusted rear bumper on my Toyota pickup. The step bumper (middle part of bumper) was completely gone so the bumper is in two pieces. I managed to get both brackets off however I remember that I had a stubborn nut that refuse to come loose. I had to torch the nut over again and again until it get loose. Finally the nut came loose and soon enough I felt that I actually twisted the bolt off and the bumper fell down without warning. Those are big bolts and I couldn't believe that I actually twisted it off with the heat of small torch. So the small propane torch should do the trick.

#5 ·
Darn it! I forgot about "sweating" the nuts & bolts. I had to do that to my Explorer when I lifted it. Isn't the memory the first thing to go? I can't remember... Anyway, thanx for the reminder.:)

#9 ·
PB Blaster....or One-lube...i've used one lube to get rear brake cylinders loose on my after about 10 years.....blaster works awesome too...

and i agree map gas and alittle patience will do the trick....guy that taught me about cars and trucks used a plumbers torch and just sat there till everything was cherry red and got bolts off an exhaust and i'm in cleveland oh...

#10 ·
Originally posted by racer0175
PB Blaster....or One-lube...i've used one lube to get rear brake cylinders loose on my after about 10 years.....blaster works awesome too...

and i agree map gas and alittle patience will do the trick....guy that taught me about cars and trucks used a plumbers torch and just sat there till everything was cherry red and got bolts off an exhaust and i'm in cleveland oh...
Got the Blaster, it's good but I wasn't patient enough to wait for it, so it used the MAP gas. I still had to replace the rear brake lines. I've never heard of the One Lube. Can you get it at Murray's or Auto-Zone? THANX;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.