Frozen nuts & bolts

TRUP

I recently acquired an 82 K20 that has many frozen nuts & bolts. Does anybody know of a chemical that can be applied to these nuts & bolts to aid in loosening them? I have already tried WD40 & PB without success. If there's anything else worth trying, I'd like to know about it.
Mucho Gracias!:)

wxmn6

PlowSite.com Addict
Try use the small propane torch. I remember a few years ago when I am working on replacing the badly rusted rear bumper on my Toyota pickup. The step bumper (middle part of bumper) was completely gone so the bumper is in two pieces. I managed to get both brackets off however I remember that I had a stubborn nut that refuse to come loose. I had to torch the nut over again and again until it get loose. Finally the nut came loose and soon enough I felt that I actually twisted the bolt off and the bumper fell down without warning. Those are big bolts and I couldn't believe that I actually twisted it off with the heat of small torch. So the small propane torch should do the trick.

snow

PlowSite.com Veteran
Try Kroil which is penetraiting oil. We use it at the garage that i work it, it's work excellent. There's hasn't been a rusted nut/bolt it hasn't worked to help loosen.

Only downside is it's like $9 a can, but it's worth it.

Bryan

OP
T

TRUP

Darn it! I forgot about "sweating" the nuts & bolts. I had to do that to my Explorer when I lifted it. Isn't the memory the first thing to go? I can't remember... Anyway, thanx for the reminder.:)

racer0175

PB Blaster....or One-lube...i've used one lube to get rear brake cylinders loose on my after about 10 years.....blaster works awesome too...

and i agree map gas and alittle patience will do the trick....guy that taught me about cars and trucks used a plumbers torch and just sat there till everything was cherry red and got bolts off an exhaust and i'm in cleveland oh...

OP
T

TRUP

Originally posted by racer0175
PB Blaster....or One-lube...i've used one lube to get rear brake cylinders loose on my after about 10 years.....blaster works awesome too...

and i agree map gas and alittle patience will do the trick....guy that taught me about cars and trucks used a plumbers torch and just sat there till everything was cherry red and got bolts off an exhaust and i'm in cleveland oh...

Got the Blaster, it's good but I wasn't patient enough to wait for it, so it used the MAP gas. I still had to replace the rear brake lines. I've never heard of the One Lube. Can you get it at Murray's or Auto-Zone? THANX;)

Top Forums