Front leaf springs

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
The leaf springs on my 2000 F250 are getting old and tired. I am going to replace them, but I'm not sure what with.
I think I'm going to stay with 2 leaf, rather than going to 3 leaf.
I'm wondering what spring code (V,W,X,etc) most of you have been running.
I think X codes are going to be too stiff. Any input?

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
EWSplow;2118844 said:
The leaf springs on my 2000 F250 are getting old and tired. I am going to replace them, but I'm not sure what with.
I think I'm going to stay with 2 leaf, rather than going to 3 leaf.
I'm wondering what spring code (V,W,X,etc) most of you have been running.
I think X codes are going to be too stiff. Any input?

Gas or Diesel and what plow?

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
You could probably be good without the "X" springs but as TJS said its a truck and will never ride like a GM......

OP
EWSplow

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
I'm really not all that concerned about the ride. It's an older work truck primarily used for plowing. If you have factory X codes, you must have a factory plow package?

linckeil

PlowSite.com Addict
while you are at it, why not get a 3rd spring? - known as a "add-a-leaf" and I've also heard them referred to as leveling kits. it will ride a bit stiffer, but it's a leaf sprung truck, so it's gonna ride stiff no matter what.

OP
EWSplow

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
linckeil;2118884 said:
while you are at it, why not get a 3rd spring? - known as a "add-a-leaf" and I've also heard them referred to as leveling kits. it will ride a bit stiffer, but it's a leaf sprung truck, so it's gonna ride stiff no matter what.
If I was going to just add a leaf, I'd probably go with 3. Since mine are tired, I'm going to replace them.
There's quite a bit of discussion on Ford diesel forums. The best info I see is stick with 2 leaf. Maybe I'm wrong, which is why I started this thread.

linckeil

PlowSite.com Addict
every leaf sprung ford pickup that I've ever plowed with has been given an add-a-leaf - regardless of the condition of the existing factory 2 leaf springs. it holds the plow much better and the work normally done by 2 leafs is now spread out over 3. it's not a requirement, but in my opinion, a very worthwhile modification at a very low cost.

what are some of the reasons people are against a 3rd leaf? if it's an off road truck I would see how spring articulation may suffer, but for a plow/work truck as you describe, I've have not experienced any downsides - other than feeling the bumps a bit more....

OP
EWSplow

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Thanks for all the input.
My local spring shop quoted almost double of what I've found online. When They gave me the cost, I thought it was per pair, but I was sadly mistaken.
SD truck springs has good pricing, but when I add in the shipping, they are around $50 less each side.

TJS

2000 Club Member
EWSplow;2118883 said:
I'm really not all that concerned about the ride. It's an older work truck primarily used for plowing. If you have factory X codes, you must have a factory plow package?

Yes it is.

tjctransport

PlowSite.com Addict
EWSplow;2118915 said:
Thanks for all the input.
My local spring shop quoted almost double of what I've found online. When They gave me the cost, I thought it was per pair, but I was sadly mistaken.
SD truck springs has good pricing, but when I add in the shipping, they are around $50 less each side.

ATS Springs out of Pennsylvania.
call junior, he will take good care of you.
http://www.atssprings.com/

Top Forums