• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

Front End Loader

Big Todd

We just recently came across what we feel is a good deal on a front end loader. I have not seen it yet, but from what I understand, it is a Trojan 2wd with a two yard bucket and gas engine.

We have about 30 accounts, including 3 good size apartment complexes and 4 large industrial type lots. (The rest are average to small lots and residentials).

Last year we hired a loader twice for a total of about 16 hours and I rented a bobcat twice. (To move snow piles around etc.)

Having our own would mean that we could offer loader service at a more attractive price to our customers, and also give us some other options with our larger lots (push box etc.)

Any thoughts or comments?

:) if you have the work for it throughout the year then i would purchase your own, we used to rent right before a storm and was a pain, i purchased a new CAT skid in march, alot less headaches and is there when i need it. T

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
Originally posted by Big Todd
We just recently came across what we feel is a good deal on a front end loader. I have not seen it yet, but from what I understand, it is a Trojan 2wd with a two yard bucket and gas engine.
Being 2wd I don't think a pusher is such a good idea.....
Should be ok for stacking though. You might be able to rig a plow mount on the bucket to run a straight blade on it too.

~Chuck

cat320

2000 Club Member
That sounds pretty old.I would not get a gas one only becuase of the amount of use diesel would be a better option to look for.If your going to just use it for 30 hours and park it for the rest of the year this might be good for you.One other thing older machines break down more and parts might be hard to get especially when it's a snow emergency,another thing to think about.My uncle has and old 2wd michigen and it can't get out of its own way and very slow,his broke down he had to have a part made machined up for him and it took some time to fix.Buy a newer model and find more work for it in my opinion or lease one for the season.

DanG

My Brother in law has an older Trojan Loader, gas straight 6, 4x4 with rear steer and a 2 yard bucket(I believe it is ).

And as John Allin says it's slow as heck, even in high range you can pretty much walk as fast as it will go. And unless you put chains on it it won't push for long distances.

So you can't drive it on the roads very far because it takes to long.

Dan

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Something else to think about, when you hired a loader, did it come with an operator? We have found that it costs a whole lot less to have someone OPERATING a loader versus someone driving one. The excavators that operate this equipment day in\day out will do a whole lot less damage than someone who gets in it for 20 hours a year. I can tell you quite a few stories about a friendly competitor who has this very problem.