1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front airbags

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by hbrady, Jan 4, 2017.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

So my 2015 RAM 2500 with 9'6'' Fisher V has stock suspension and the other day I caught a curb running errands around town. The problem is, even with 700lbs of counter weight my wing tips are only a few inches off the ground when retracted 1/4 distance. Right now I'm considering Firestone bags in the front. Anyone else running bags in the front of a GEN 4 2500/3500? Just wondering if it's worth the $$ and effort.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

Just bump the plow wings foward a touch and you should have plenty of clearance.

Is 700lbs what they reccomend for that size plow. Plow weighs close to a grand

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't run my V all f the way up becuse the wing corners hang down.

1 straiten the blade a bit
    2 lower the plow a bit will raise the corners also.
    3. You have a plow on your truck, clearances may change, pay attention .

4 .front coils springs. Ram does use a diffrent spring rate on the diesels.
    I installed springs for the diesel in my gasser. It leveled it while gaining capasity .

Or get the bage I hear on the play ground the air/rite bags are better quality than the good/year bags.

4. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

eMatch shows 'ballast' of 580lb which I found odd because as you said, the thing weighs close to 1k. I guess investing is a few more sandbags would be a good idea before I do anything else.

5. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Hummm, I never thought of that but it makes sense, lowering the blade will raise wing tips. I'll give it shot.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Air bags are great.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I don't know about the Rams, but on my 2006 F350 I upgraded the front springs to the 6,000lb ones. That reduced the sag with plow raised by 1.5 to 2 inches (8.5' MVP with wings). I was having the same issues as you are - scraping the wing tips. I also have about 1,000 lbs in the bed, but mainly over the rear axle.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Air biscuits are better

9. Mark Oomkes

But very fattening.

10. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I was looking into Thuren overland coil kit but I'm too cheap to spend that much money.

11. Mark Oomkes

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

So do you have counter weight OR ballast? You do know the difference... right?

13. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Yes, read a few of Dr. SnoFarmer's dissertations.. weight behind rear wheels (counterweight) is the method I use Thumbs Up

SnoFarmer likes this.
  14. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Ordered .. thanks guys :drinkup:

15. Philbilly2

Don't call him Dr.... it goes straight to his head.

Have you had the pleasue of sitting threw one of his seminars on his studies on diesel fuel additive yet?? :rolleyes:

ktfbgb and hbrady like this.
  16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

and next time there will be a added charge for the tinfoil, as your noggin is as big as a plantoid.

;)

Philbilly2 likes this.
  17. Philbilly2

better get the heavy duty Reynolds wrap...

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

its on the list.

19. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

:laughing: I have not; however, I received one hell of of education on cold air intakes :nod: Saved me some money and I have since passed that knowledge on to other misguided individuals considering that investment.
    :popcorn:

20. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Go check out the "best diesel additive" thread. It had me rolling on the floor a couple times.Thumbs Up