Ford F-250 2018 issues while plowing

@Splow1986

Hey folks,
Just curious to know is anyone experiencing problems with their radio shut down and dash lights disappearing on their Ford 250 2018 model?
I found Ford bulletin regarding this issue but just for the year 2017. My Ford dealer is saying that this bulletin does not have to do anything with 2018 models. Your input will be counted as it is annoying to plow this way and have concern that something is going to happen with the truck.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Arctic 8' poly

Never heard of the issue but it doesn't surprise me either. I've heard reports than the 2017s sometimes still did it even after having the computer reflashed.

You can try running more accessories (heated seats, heated mirrors, etc.) or adding a second battery if it doesn't have one already. Supposedly the 2nd battery is the most effective fix.

OP
@

@Splow1986

Will running more accessories would cause more problems?
Is second battery going to solve the problem?
I wonder no one else having Ford 2018 reported this issue. Went to Ford dealer to fix this, but since its 2018 truck, he simply says its the plow issue not ours???

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Will running more accessories would cause more problems?
Is second battery going to solve the problem?
I wonder no one else having Ford 2018 reported this issue. Went to Ford dealer to fix this, but since its 2018 truck, he simply says its the plow issue not ours???

Contrary to what you'd think, running more accessories HELPS it, not makes it worse.

If you search for "overvoltage" you'll find out more, but it amounts to the alternator putting out too much volt when the plow operates and not responding fast enough when the plow stops running. The excess voltage is what shuts everything off. The second battery acts as a reservoir for the excess voltage, the extra accessories uses up the extra voltage.

abbe

My 2018 F350 diesel is doing it with a Fisher XLS. I have a 2017 350 in the fleet as well as a 2018 f250 and neither of those have the issue, even though they are all running the same wiring and XLS plow.

Dealer reflashed my truck to latest stuff and it does it even worse now. Kills climate control, heated seat, radio, and gauge lights. It all comes back on almost instantly, but it is beyond absurd and downright annoying.

Worst part is they have now said there is basically nothing else they can do and that its the plow installers problem. They sold me a truck that is advertised as a super duty with plow prep and it can't raise the blade without puking its electronics out. Unreal for a $75k truck.

On a side note, I run a polycaster in the truck and it doesn't affect it at all.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
My 2018 F350 diesel is doing it with a Fisher XLS.

Did you report it to your plow dealer?

Dealer reflashed my truck to latest stuff and it does it even worse now.

No idea what the reflash is supposed to do or change, but I seem to recall reading someone saying they had the same situation with their 2017 where the reflash actually made it worse.

abbe

Did you report it to your plow dealer?

No idea what the reflash is supposed to do or change, but I seem to recall reading someone saying they had the same situation with their 2017 where the reflash actually made it worse.

Yeah when it first happened the dealer and I had a discussion about it. He informed me that every once in a while he gets a truck that does it. A new Ford that is. Said there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. He and i are friendly and he was the one who suggested going back to Ford.

Before I did that I tried switching the power supply over from the brown pto bodybuilder wire, over to an up fitter. I wanted to make sure I couldn't just solve the issue my self. That didn't have any effect on the issue though.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
We had a Torqshift in an '04 grenade when they were having all the problems way back when. But they tried telling us it wasn't the same issue because it didn't fall within the build dates Ford issued the TSB for.

Morons...

Full17

My 2017 F350 does the exact same thing. Been to two different dealers first dealer knew me off and told me it was westerns problem. Second dealer actually said they have a problem but don’t have a fix for it yet. It’s obviously not the plows fault when the tsb was issued for running any high draw accessories. My truck did not fall under the tsb bulletin build dates.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Are you implying that it is the plow? If that was the case multiple brands of plows and winches wouldn’t all cause the truck to have the issues.

Sorry, no, I was being funny ("you were?"). I was just making a joke about how they can blame the plow. But it is definitely the truck.

seville009

PlowSite.com Addict
Hey folks,
Just curious to know is anyone experiencing problems with their radio shut down and dash lights disappearing on their Ford 250 2018 model?
I found Ford bulletin regarding this issue but just for the year 2017. My Ford dealer is saying that this bulletin does not have to do anything with 2018 models. Your input will be counted as it is annoying to plow this way and have concern that something is going to happen with the truck.

What are your battery specs? Some discussions on this issue have pointed to the stock batteries in the gassers as not being strong enough. If you can stick a higher rated battery in to test it, try that.

OP
@

@Splow1986

Thank you guys for your input, really appreciate that.
So it boils down that I cannot do anything about the radio shut down and dash lights disappearing when I operate the plow.

Mebes

Unfortunately until ford gets around to a fix the only thing you can do was mentioned already by @cwren2472

Turn on as much as you can to soak up the extra voltage when it spikes.
Headlamps foglamps heated seats etc...

Top Forums