For those of you staging equipment, what's your security?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rippinryno, Dec 4, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno Senior Member

I have a plow truck staged on site at my commercial parking lot. The lot has no security cameras and is slightly out in the middle of nowhere. There is a fair amount of traffic parking and leaving the lot on a regular basis.

Do any of you use anything to keep track easily of your equipment? I have a salt spreader on it, 50 bags of salt in the bed and of course the plow and truck. There will be a pallet of salt in it next storm. My first thought is to maybe put a trail camera in the cab pointing in a direction that I could pick up an activity coming toward the truck. Other than that I am not sure how to make sure nobody steals my salt or setup. TIA.

2. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

If they steal the truck what good is a trail cam?

3. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

Put a quick disconnect on the battery and disconnect it; should present a major deterrent to someone actually stealing the truck. Not fail safe, but should help.

NYH1, Philbilly2, FredG and 2 others like this.
  4. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good idea for equipment sitting also to preserve the battery from small draws

NYH1 and Philbilly2 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno Senior Member

great idea! I didn't think about that, but with having 2 batteries I 'm always nervous i'm going to lose power to one or the other. I think I will do this. I purchased a battery powered trickle charger as well that I am hoping will keep my batteries tendered while i'm away.

6. seville009

from CNY

I bought a Noco Genius GB150 booster pack a few years ago. It’s kind if pricey, but worth it. It’s a lithium battery pack that’s relatively compact, but packs a strong punch (rated for diesels), can do multiple jumps on one charge, and stays charged for long periods of time. Just nice to have in the truck when needed.

the Suburbanite likes this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Still have yet to have mine work on my Cummings.

Randall Ave likes this.
  8. seville009

from CNY

have to charge it first.......

has worked fine on my diesel skidsteer, neighbor’s excavator, my gas trucks.....

9. SilverPine

SilverPine Member

Get a dashcam.

10. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

Must be that 17:1 compression...:rolleyes:

11. GMC Driver

GMC Driver PlowSite.com Addict

Battery disconnect - yes.

GPS - yes. Lots of options here.

Well lit area - a must.

If they really want it, you won't stop them. We learned the hard way - sub had a brand new MX255 with 13 hours on it driven off in broad daylight.

FredG likes this.
  12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

For if it's stolen, maby s GPS?

13. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno Senior Member

Not sure what model NOCO that i have but it is mostly just a trickle charge, not sure if the jump mode would do it for me. This truck is just a 5.3 and won't require nearly as much to power up that a diesel does on the cold days.

I'm currently looking into some gps options. I think i may start with my trail cam that i already have in an attempt to keep the salt and spreader safe, then I'll unhook the battery especially when snow isn't forecasted for months.

I started a thread about my new plow rig, but it quickly went down hill and Michael closed it. I was really hoping to use that thread to update my progress throughout this first season. Unfortunately, a zero tolerance argument from one of the most argumentative members on this forum and other forums has led to it being shut down. I do hope it can be opened back up though so that all of this content can just go into that thread. Plus, i wanted to show some of the guys who sent private messages (supporting me), that a guy can start out with a beat up rig and still get stuff done.

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

You could always put a switch under the dash to disable say the fuel pump. But remember, if someone really wants it. They will find a way.

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Mine does my backhoe and i hook it to the starter and frame not the battery. (battery is cumbersome to get at.) its not instant power, let it charge it up a bit watch the numbers go up then hit it.

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

Just a few obvious thoughts.Park under a light if possible,not tucked away behind building etc.Maybe tarp the whole truck and secure with a few bungees,truck will be nice and clean for use. Put up one of those fake security cameras with the blinking red light. On the whimsical side, rig some fake explosive device to the steering wheel with wires to the doors, get a mannequin and have him sleeping laying down in front seat. Put ram badges on the truck,that keeps the informed away. Ford will also work and will keep all but the master mechanics away.

zlssefi, Sawboy and Mr.Markus like this.
  17. Brndnstffrd

Brndnstffrd Senior Member
    from CT

I know it was intended to be a joke, but probably not such a good idea. Someone will inevitably see it and then you have a much worse situation on your hands than a truck being stolen.

:laugh:

Michael J. Donovan likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno Senior Member

I'm thinking the dodge badges will keep any and all away...lol.

19. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

Lock the plow to the truck
    Take the controller

20. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno Senior Member

in theory if i disconnect the battery, they might have a struggle getting it disconnected. another thing, it's been mounted to the pickup for years and years, it's probably on there good lol.