1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

? for othere CT. contractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 99SDPSD, Dec 14, 2002.

  1. 99SDPSD

    99SDPSD Senior Member
    Messages: 118

    I had an oppertunity to see a friend of mine that works for CT. DMV. I had asked him if there were any new laws comming for 2003 he said none that he knows of at this time. But he did ask if I knew that a driver of a commercial vehicle over 10,000lbs had to have a CDL medical card. Which was unbenounced to me. Has anyone else from CT. has heard of this law change. Which used to be 14,000lbs and over.
  2. a palustris

    a palustris Member
    Messages: 74

    I know that in New York, if you are going to pull a trailer that weighs in at 10,000 lbs or more you need a CDL. So if you wanted to pull a 10K lb excavator on a trailer with an F250 / F350 you would need a CDL for if you got pulled over.
  3. mike9497

    mike9497 Senior Member
    Messages: 466

    no big deal for me i have a cdl A and all my trucks even my baby f 250 LD are known as commercial.u use it to plow your for hire.it should be registered as commercial or have someone with a cdl, or med card driving it.now you can get buy with the 250 if your not hauling or towing more than 10,000 lbs.so keep it under that and you should be fine,but i have a JD 110 TLB and with trailer thats about 10,000
  4. SLC1

    SLC1 Senior Member
    Messages: 242

    Yes, he is correct we get pulled over for DMV Truck inspections quite a bit because of our location right on the highway, and we have to have medical cards for all drivers, the minute you hook a trailer up any pickup or one ton you are over the weight also, you have to have US DOT numbers on all your trucks and also the name of your company, town, ect. We have learned the hard way, also I know that it may seem extreme but you should probably get any MSDS sheets for your trucks, fire extingushers, first aid kit, ect, because if you catch an inspector on a bad day he will make yours even worse, I am not kidding we learned the hard way, got pulled over at 8.30am and he still wasnt done with us by NOON, we had to have the truck towed, trailer towed, had to pay two guys to sit all day in the rest stop and just watch the inspector go through every thing by the time he got done we had over $1,000 in fines had to pay the tow company $300.00 and had to pay to have stuff fixed so we now do every thing the right way, but they will always find something wrong. But to make a long story short , Yes Medical Cards, US DOT numbers, and MSDS sheets
  5. 99SDPSD

    99SDPSD Senior Member
    Messages: 118

    He said if the gvwr of the truck was over 10,000lbs did not mention at all about with trailer. Also he stated that if you run out of state that you would need to have apportioned plates and fuel stickers.
  6. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    Another reason to move somewhere else! Why don't you guys put someone in your State Legislature to get rid of these money grabbing laws? Make it known to the consumer that they are the ones who ultimately pay your fines.:realmad:
  7. mike9497

    mike9497 Senior Member
    Messages: 466

    i`ll be the first to say. '' I HATE CONNECTICUT!!" everything in this state sucks.we are one of the smallest states and we always have money problems.they tax us for every little thing. if i take a dump in my town hall they tax us.DMV B**** to.they drive around in these loud cars, trucks with tinted windows loud bikes.they never get pulled over or anything.but if they can`t see my lic plate because of my sander covering it a little bit i have to have the whole rig inspected. i hate this state its going straight to h***. can`t wait to save up some cash and get out of here.
  8. chtucker

    chtucker Senior Member
    Messages: 618

    Thats why I left...

    Lets see..

    My Excursion at 9200 lb GVW is not allowed on the Parkway.

    CDL??? at 10 or even 14k???

    So my Excursion towing my Jeep on trailer (about 6k) I would need a CDL?

    Medicals, inspections, emissions????

    The funniest thing I think is "parkway windows" adding rear windows to your cargo van so that you can drive on the parkway...(mostly NY stuff)

    To many taxes, too many cops, too many people.

    I don't even get a second glance with my Jeep on 36 swampers, cut fenders, no windshield, and a fuel cell (non-emissions approved) driving around town.

    Then again, I can't make nearly the money that I could there.
  9. gslam88

    gslam88 Senior Member
    Messages: 168

    In CT as in most states if you have a CDL you have to have a medical card.

    They have been talking about changing that law for a while, I did not know that it went thru.

    Let me ask a question for clarification, are you saying that they changed the law and that any trucks over 10k have to have a cdl or any drivers of vehicles over 10k need to just have a medical card?

    AS per CT dmv web site

    Definition of a Commercial Motor Vehicle
    A Commercial Motor Vehicle can be defined as:

    Vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 or more pounds,
    Vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver,
    Vehicle designed to transport 11 or more passengers, including the driver, and used to transport students under the age twenty-one years of age to and from school, or
    Any vehicle transporting hazardous materials which is required to be placarded.

    CTTucker... fortunally on the merritt you can't be over 7,500 lbs and over 8 feet high... and there is a length too... The EXcursion is long .. but not that long... something like 23 feet.

    However is your trailering something under 10k and you don't put more than 799lbs of weight on your hitch then you just need a standard driver licence in CT

    AS far as DMV pulling over trucks and checking them, I have seen fully loaded logging trucks in Bridgeport get red tagged and hauled away, but the worst fine that I have heard of as of yet for overweight is originally $19,000... but the trooper game him a break and put him at only $10,000.... .. gee... it would only take 200 years to pay that off

    oh well it could be worst than living in Ct... living in NYC no subway... no bus... no place to park... all the cars... and very little space for big boy toys!!!!!:waving: :waving:
  10. chtucker

    chtucker Senior Member
    Messages: 618

    GVW weight on the Excursion is 9200 lbs... empty weight is 7800 lbs...
  11. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    In NY, the medical card is only required for interstate driving and passenger carriers.