Snow Plowing Forum banner

Follow up - SIMA Symposium St. Louis

4K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  SnowGodFather 
#1 ·
I think this year was even better than Denver. Many new faces, many new friends. I got to meet many PlowSite members for the first time. The educational sessions were great. I got to hear Dale Keep speak for the first time. He reminded me of Alan (on this forum) A LOT. In fact, Alan highly recommended Dale's session. I also noticed that Dale is now a SIMA member. Jeff Tovar & company gave a great presentation, and made the show a blast, especially "Rodney Dangerfield" (Steve).... he had us all rolling during the evening receptions. I got to chat with diggerman quite a bit, even though he has not posted here much this past year. I got tot meet Pine Island1 for the first time, as well as ceaman. As I posted in anothe thread, Mick, JD Plower and Ceaman were there amongst many, many, others. The nightlife was great too, seems like many really enjoyed it, judging from the times they returned to the hotel ( "We got back to the hotel at 3 am" , "We didn't get back until 7am" was heard almost every morning. :drinkup: )

Dino, although not present, won a free pallet of Magic salt. There were a ton of manufacturer prizes given away. As posted in another thread, Blizzard Blades had a booth, and I can verify those wiper blades get hot. I will be contacting them for more info. I got tons of literature on new products, and as always, learned so much it still hasn't all sunk in yet.

The CSP exam was given, and I anticipate quite a few new SIMA CSP's once the test results are known. The program seems to be taking off.

I said it before, and I will repeat it, I missed not seeing Alan and Ray, BRL, Rob, JCurtis, and others. I hope they will be able to shuffle off to Buffalo next year.

Tammy and the SIMA staff really outdid themselves this time!
Thanks ladies! :waving:

~Chuck

See less See more
#2 ·
I would like to thank SIMA and sponsors for putting on such a great event. I meet a lot of great people from PlowSite, SIMA and the industry. They all bring knowledge and professionalism to the snow and ice business. I was sorry to hear that many were unable to attend. I'm looking forward to Buffalo. Thanx again for a great time.

#4 ·
JD,
Monroe made the self loader for that salt spreader. Cost was about $600. according to the salesmen. Looks like someone might be able to fab a self loading frame fairly simple.

I stayed at a neighboring hotel and didn't have any problems except the long walk when cabs couldn't be found...especially at 3am....lol.

John

#6 ·
You can't see it in the above pic, but there is a poly roller all the way up front. Basically, you lower the rear assembly, jack up the back end, pull forward, then lower the front jack assembly, with the roller (sitting on the bed) still holding the weight of the front of the spreader. Jack up the front, then drive out. I have a bunch of pics, and will add all of them to my website soon.

~Chuck

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Wood Automotive tail & brake light

#14 ·
That spreader stand was pretty cool. There were quite a few innovative things at the show. This was my first SIMA event and I throughly enjoyed it. I'm already making plans for Dale Keep's training this fall in Cleveland and SIMA next year in Buffalo.

Congratulations to the planners. Job well done.

#15 ·
I too listened to Dale Keep speak and I thought it was very informitive and am looking for either the Chicago or Cleveland show this year. I want to pick his brain a bit more about liquid deicer usage.

The discussion from Harvey Williams (IL dot) on "Peering into the future" had some amazing ideas about the direction techology will take snow removal and its safety.

I also became a sima member while I was there.

I was amazed at the profitability of some of the "snow only" companies that were there...

I hope Dino makes good use of the "Magic"! :D

#16 ·
Very lightweight for a Fisher blade. That is the weight of the 7ft on my Toyota. Seems like quite an innovation if the frame can handle the stress. I would expect it has seen some testing.

It does look like that stand could bolt up to a lot of spreaders. I would think one could be fabbed with some scrap and a few trailer tongue jacks.

#17 ·
Due to the way the stainless bolts onto the X frame of the moldboard, it would be very easy to offer it in a poly version as well......

Scuttlebutt says that the stainless will be available on V plows in the future too.

As far as the weight issue, keep in mind stainless is much stronger than mild steel, and is a real #%^*@ to bend.

As for the salter stand, it does look pretty easy to build. Though, parts and materials alone (new) could easily run $300. Add in electric for the welder, and an employee's hours to build it, and you would be right up near $600.

Hmmmm..... Alan has not posted on this thread yet, I wonder if he is out in the garage building one already, LOL.

Bobcat has come out with a new line.... I will post pics on my site soon.

I saw Extenda-Plows... interesting idea. A rear plow for a pickup that expands to about 14', and a version that mounts on skid steers just as wide.

~Chuck

#20 ·
I'm wondering how many gauge is the stainless moldboard on the Fisher X blades? I thought that stainless weighs more than the regular steel but guess I was wrong. Looks like it is a great innovation because stainless never will rust, are stronger and lighter. It should be easier on the truck, especially on the front end. The only thing that would be a disadvantage is that it would scrap less than the heavier regular steel but I would not really worry about it. It looks like the Fisher X Blade would be the next plow I would buy in future.

#21 ·
I did some checking on Fisher web site in snowplow kit selection guide and it shows evidence that the X Blade is heavier than the Heavy Duty regular steel plow. Looked at the trucks that can handle the Heavy Duty 8' steel plow, but some of them are not recommend for 8' stainless? Same thing for those that can handle 9' steel, but some can't handle the 9' stainless. :confused:

Pineisland1, are you sure that the information given to you by Fisher reps are correct? I know that the weight # you posted are for just the blade, but the frame would weight about #100 to #150. So it still seems to be lighter than the regular steel but again the Fisher selection kit guide does not show that it is true.

#22 ·
I have the brochure here in front of me, and that is where the info comes from. It does not include shoes or cutting edge in those figures.

The extending plows are from here in Grand Rapids, and have been used around here for a while.

Lazer was from the East side of the state,(near Kent Lawns), but I think he did know these folks here making these blades, of which there are two or three different companies.

#23 ·
It was Lazer that made several. Earlier this year, Eric ELM was going to mail me some pics he had of it. As far as I know, Lazer never posted pics or plans, as he had a patent pending (which Bill already said). I do remember that he (Lazer) said he made his out of old Meyer blades. I myself was itching to see it, so I asked Eric if he could dig up some pics on his hard drive. Obviously, due to his unfortunate fate, he never sent them...

Stephen, it's not that stainless is lighter than mild steel, it's that it is stronger, so a thinner gauge can be used, hence, less weight.
If I am not mistaken, it is actually slightly heavier than mild steel.

I wonder if Lazer still reads here? He resigned as a Moderator, and said he would be very busy for a couple of years..... it has been a couple of years. Lazer, you still out there???? :waving:

~Chuck

#25 ·
Nobody mentioned how cool it was to watch the fighter jets take off twice a day. Some days there were three, and other days there were 5. There is no mistaking that roar! For those of you that didn't attend, the airport was across the street, and we had a perfect view of the runway.

Around here, when they fly by, you hear the roar, look up, and they are long gone already.... or a speck on the horizon.

~Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.