1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Foaming oil

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by john r, Jan 11, 2017.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I replaced my motor, replaced filter hose, cleaned filter, added new oil and now the up/down, L/R move slow. I checked the oil and I see it has air bubbles in it. Also there is now air in all 3 cylinders. I checked to see if the hose fell off and it's ok. I don't understand why and how air is getting into the system. Do I need to purge some thing first? I always thought just by going through the motions that air is automatically removed. I never had a problem changing the oil.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

3. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the link. We used the plow for the last storm and did'nt purge the air. It seems to have gotten worse. There is more air in the lift cylinder now than there was before. I'm going to loosen the line to the cylinder and purge the air that way. Also both lower cylinders have about 3 inch movement when I move the plow by hand.

4. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

You may want to try removing the breather cap and operating it. The breather sometimes gets clogged and can't release the air. If you unscrew it and get a blast of air and/or fluid, that is likely the issue.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does it have the fill on the side right?

6. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I found the problem. The pump was sucking air in from the resovoir. When I changed the pick up tube I couldn't find the same one. The OE clamps didn't fit so I used a hose clamp. The hose clamp loosened or the tube collapsed but any way the clamp loosened up allowing to suck air in. I swapped the hose clamp for a fuel injection hose clamp. All works as it should. Thanks for all the replies!! BTW any idea where I can get a OE spec pick up tube?

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Glad you found the issue; it's always a relief when something works right again.

I'd think a part like thst would be stocked by any dealer. If not, the internet irdering is pretty fast.

8. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

From what I found on the parts break down for the pump is a new style tube and filter. It appears to be a solid tube and a oval paper filter? I might be wrong. I have the round screen filter and flexible tube.

9. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

The new style one will replace your old one fine