Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to plowing and plow maintenance. Looking for information on how to change the fluid in my western ultramount straight blade plow. I have heard it is fairly simple however I just want to do it right. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos of the unit on my plow

Also it seems my plow leans forward slightly. Is this normal ? Most plows I see are more upright. It also seems to trip forward easy some times if I even bump a speed bump with the slightest bit of force. I plan on adding more trip springs and brackets. Is there anything else I can check ?

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Wood

· Registered
334 Posts
1: The A Frame should be level with the ground. If so, the attack angle is correct.
2: There are a plethora of how-to's and videos on how to change fluid. The search function is your friend. Basically:
1: Remove plug on bottom of reservoir and drain fluid.
2: Remove two bolts holding reservoir to motor. Clean reservoir and filter. Reinstall drain plug, insert approx. 40 ounces fluid, and reinstall.
3: The lazy man's way of a partial change is: Run plow up, left, right and down. Repeat step #2. This should be performed annually under normal use.

The more thorough way of flushing the cylinders should be performed once every year or two and is detailed in another post.

If there is no separation between the coils of the trip springs they need to be retightened. They should appear the same after retightening, and should be a slight (1/16" I think) separation between the upper 2-3 links.

Welcome to the forum. Do some reading of Ultra's on this forum...there are some good reads here, and get yourself a free education. It is good to know your equipment. There are plenty of good members if you need assistance with a problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1: The A Frame should be level with the ground. If so, the attack angle is correct.
2: There are a plethora of how-to's and videos on how to change fluid. The search function is your friend. Basically:
1: Remove plug on bottom of reservoir and drain fluid.
2: Remove two bolts holding reservoir to motor. Clean reservoir and filter. Reinstall drain plug, insert approx. 40 ounces fluid, and reinstall.
3: The lazy man's way of a partial change is: Run plow up, left, right and down. Repeat step #2. This should be performed annually under normal use.

The more thorough way of flushing the cylinders should be performed once every year or two and is detailed in another post.

If there is no separation between the coils of the trip springs they need to be retightened. They should appear the same after retightening, and should be a slight (1/16" I think) separation between the upper 2-3 links.

Welcome to the forum. Do some reading of Ultra's on this forum...there are some good reads here, and get yourself a free education. It is good to know your equipment. There are plenty of good members if you need assistance with a problem.
Thanks alot ! Greatly appreciated !

· Registered
249 Posts
Your A frame appears level in the photos, but it's worth checking. There's a set of holes and bolts to adjust the height of the plow mount spikes for different height trucks. I had my Ultramount on my 2003 Ram and just put a mount on my new 2015 Ram. I figured with basically the same truck and the same wheels/tires, the plow shouldn't need any adjustment swapping from one to the other. I might've been wrong.

The new truck puts the mount receivers much lower than the old one. On the '03, the mount was tucked in nicely and barely noticeable unless I had the receivers on, but even then, not terrible. On the '15, the mount seems much lower, which puts the receivers lower. They are also quite a bit forward. On my '03, I had to remove my Ranch Hand front end and replace it with an OEM bumper. On the '15, I could probably fit just about any bumper, maybe even with a winch inside.

Another difference, the '03 seemed level. When I connected or disconnected the plow, it didn't move. On the '15, the mount is angled downward in front slightly. Plow lifts as I pull up to it, and when I back away, it drops slightly, but seems to jump as the plow mount spikes clear the receivers.

· Registered
15,304 Posts
Dont forget to drain the angle rams and the lift ram.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.