Fluid change question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DL313, Apr 1, 2020.

1. DL313

DL313 Junior Member
    from MI

Realized that I hadn't changed my fluid, would like to do it now with all my free time. But was wondering if I should just wait until fall? Would I get condensation with it sitting over summer? Or is the condensation caused from the fluid getting warm during use and then cooling off during the obviously cold climate in the winter? Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

In the fall before the start on the season.
    But you'll get all different answers.

NYH1, cwren2472 and Philbilly2 like this.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

agreed^^^^

NYH1 and dieselss like this.
  4. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

I recommend fall - I personally prefer to see fresh fluid in it just before use rather than fluid that will sit for 6-9 months before getting used and possibly developing more condensation in the process

FWIW, I read a Boss plow blog post from boss tech support recommending the exact opposite - that it's better to get water/contaminants out of the system at the end before storage so the system stays fresh while sitting. So make of that what you will.

5. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

Fluid wouldn’t (shouldn’t) be getting warm during use in the winter. Even if you park in a heated garage, I wouldn’t think you’d get any condensation unless a fitting is loose to let it in (you’d know though because you’d presumably be losing fluid)

I’ve always changed mine in the Fall; easier to remember to do it then as part of the “getting ready for winter” routine. Never had any issues (Western MVP).

6. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

older Unimount plows have had freezing issues for years. New Ultra mount plows have a vent that keeps pressure on the reservoir to keep moisture out.