Fisher xls jumping?

Driller Dave

Recently bought 8' xls with expandable wings to make it 10'. Now it plows great with wings retracted in but as soon as I open it to 10' straight or scoop the plow wants to grab pavment and lift up and down while pushing. I think the rubber bottoms on wings are a touch lower which is causing this to happen. I called the dealer there saying Fisher says once I plow with it for awhile it will break in and go away. Now we've only have 3 storms now and only have maybe 20 hours pushing with it but still seems like it wants to jump up and down with wings out. Called dealer again they said to bring it in they might be able to adjust rubber up alittle to help out. Anyone else buy one new and have this problem or just my luck? Also I'm plowing asphalt and concrete lots mostly level and smooth.

OP
D

Driller Dave

Ok hope your right cause as of now only function I like is when there in and 8' plow. I'll give it a few more storms if not better shes for sale.

Western1

PlowSite Veteran
I would set plow down on level ground and run the wings out and look at it. If wing rubbers are keeping the steel cutting edge up off the ground then maybe they can adjust them up or they can be trimmed.

OP
D

Driller Dave

Yeah I plow slow as it's a gas station with people at all the time. And as far as trip springs they all look good. It's a brand new plow with only about 20hrs on it. The only other thing which I dont know if it will help me or make a difference is putting a leveling kit on truck. Everything is factory now on truck (2500 chevy) which they sit low in frount to begin with. I have a hitch spreader on as well. I usally have 500+ pounds in it when plowing.

OP
D

Driller Dave

Went back to dealer they moved plow on aframe up to the top hole out of middle where it was at. I personally dont think this will help but we will see. Fisher still says needs more break in time. From what I'm seeing it's the curb gaurds that are causing it to grab. I guess next step is to grind them up alittle. Spend big money for a plow wouldn't think one would have all these issues.

leigh

PlowSite Veteran
Went back to dealer they moved plow on aframe up to the top hole out of middle where it was at. I personally dont think this will help but we will see. Fisher still says needs more break in time. From what I'm seeing it's the curb gaurds that are causing it to grab. I guess next step is to grind them up alittle. Spend big money for a plow wouldn't think one would have all these issues.
Curb guards ? You didn't mention that in earlier posts,got any pics ?

OP
D

Driller Dave

15799739516752299871365089548935.jpg

OP
D

Driller Dave

I took plow off yesterday so this is a pic of it in grass but it came with metal curb guards on ends of the poly wings, and I think these are the problem?

leigh

PlowSite Veteran
Could be. Maybe the wear down that might usually take a short time is now longer because of the guards.Looks like only 4 bolts,why not take them off and take her for a spin,see what happens. Or grind them like you mentioned earlier. I've got 2 xls and the only time the plow acts up id if I'm plowing an inch or less really dry snow ,it seems like I'm plowing bare pavement. Could also drive in circles in reverse to wear them down if you've got time to kill!

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Find a nice stretch of new pavement asphalt
Avoid chip&seal, get up to go 45-50mph drop the blade in the straight position and run that for a few blocks .
You’re looking to wear the heel of the edge off so the front edge is now cutting the snow.

If you do it at night you could even have a spark show.

Top Forums