1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher w/ electric pump under hood, what fluid, and can I get long control cables?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by W250CTD, Dec 8, 2008.

1. W250CTD

W250CTD Junior Member

What is the correct fluid to use in a Fisher setup w/ an electric pump under the hood, and what is the correct procedure to fill it? Take one of the pipe plugs in the block out and pour it in there or unscrew the vent from the tank and fill it like that? Also, did fisher make longer control cables and a pedestal mount so you can put the joystick on the transmission tunnel instead of under the dash on the left side like I've seen so many mounted? My cables are only like 30" or so long, and I know if I put the joystick on the left side all I'm going to be doing is banging my knee on it. Thanks.

2. YEEHAW

YEEHAW Junior Member

I assume you are talking old school speed cast type plow and under hood pump? I have the same setup Just unscrew the breather and fill it from there. Oil is either Fisher 28531 Hydrolic fluid or a good sub that I use is SAM Snowplow Oil its cheaper good to -50 doesnt foam and its blue so you dont wonder if its your tranny or plow when you see it on the ground. make sure the plow is down Fill up the resivour and go through the cycles once or twice. Deop the plow fill it up again then go through the functions a few times again drop the plow and top it off with fluid your done if system is dry to start should take about 2 quarts depending on how long your hoses i made mine very long to hold more fluid so mine takes about 3. I have never seen a tunnel mount for fisher doesnt mean they dont exist though I did once have one for a western which should work for a fisher if you could find one and on the cables I dont know about fisher but for sure on the old westers as well and the old ones if I recal were the same as fishers. Hope something of this helps good luck Eric

3. W250CTD

W250CTD Junior Member

It is the old school style, thanks for the reply. As far as the controls, you say the old Western cables are the same, would an old Western joystick work also? I have the 3 port Fisher valve under the hood that's actuated by 2 cables. Thanks

4. YEEHAW

YEEHAW Junior Member

It should I had a plow on one of my old chevys that had parts from everything mashed into it and it all worked great I had a fisher pump and block western controls and cables a fram from a meyers I think it was a mess but it all worked

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

western cables not as thick/stiff to use them.

what truck is it going in?

i custom mounted mine in my dash on a 73-87 chevy truck. easy and only took me around 2 hrs start to finish. and well out of the way of your knees.

6. W250CTD

W250CTD Junior Member

Its going on a 93 Dodge W250. The problem isn't so much where it mounts, its that you'd have to use your left hand to operate it. I'd rather it be on the right.

7. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Our new Blue Fluid is not approved for use in underhood applications. The flash point is to low. You will need to use ATF or our older gold fliud. Do not use the blue fluid - there is a warning right on the bottle stating that it is not to be used on underhood applications.

8. Brian Simmons

Our new Blue Fluid is not approved for use in underhood applications. The flash point is to low. You will need to use ATF or our older gold fliud. Do not use the blue fluid - there is a warning right on the bottle stating that it is not to be used on underhood applications.

9. W250CTD

W250CTD Junior Member

Thanks, any performance or durability advantage of using your gold fluid instead of ATF? What kind of ATF, Dextron/Mercon?

10. Brian Simmons

gold will be hard to find. Dextron II is fine.

11. Brian Simmons

gold fluid works better in colder temps but not an issue with you as yours is underhood and the engine warms up the fluid

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i my self figured right control . but asfter install in stick shift truck my right hand is full. and custom mount in dash with left side and being able to rest my left hand on knee and run controler all day is co comfortable.