Snow Plowing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking advice from Fisher V-Plow owners. Not interested in others, thank you.

Im looking to swap to a newer Stainless V-Blade. Had a 8' HD MM2 for over a decade but it's tired, and I got a new truck, so time to upgrade.

I plow primarily residential, dirt/gravel driveways. I'm hearing from some about how horrible V-blades are, does nothing but dig, useless, blah blah. Trick is most of them have Boss and/or other Straight Blades.

I expect to dig when it's soft/muddy. My straight blade did. Always sucks. But once it's frozen I don't see how a V-blade could be any different.

And I cruised the forum for a bit, found plenty of advice, but very few mentioned gravel, most were parking lots/ commercial.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know much about them, but my understanding is they are built differently, angles, trip edge, frame, etc.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Don't know much about them, but my understanding is they are built differently, angles, trip edge, frame, etc.
Your understanding is wrong. For your concerns, they are identical. Only the hook-up system is different.

We do use a Fisher XV but almost all our lot is paved. The small portion that is gravel we've never had any issues with.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well forgive me for trying to prevent the downward spiral of "my boss is better than" or "my snowdog beats" or "you should get a..." that I saw in many threads while researching.

Bottom line is I would like feedback from Fisher V-Plow owners who plow on gravel.

Trying to keep this thread on the track isn't a crime.

Thank you.

· Registered
14,949 Posts

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Your understanding is wrong. For your concerns, they are identical. Only the hook-up system is different.

We do use a Fisher XV but almost all our lot is paved. The small portion that is gravel we've never had any issues with.
I would consult a dealer if I was you before you make these claims... :laugh:

· Registered
18 Posts
I have several of each Fisher 9.5 XV II and the new XLS. In addition to many paved lots I do plow a few miles of gravel road and the straight or XLS blades with chatter or catch and the Vee plow is fine. The benefit of the Vee on gravel is you can close the V for your breakout pass and raise it ever so slightly and it will just plow forever and never catch. The weight of the snow will push any type of straight blade down and make it chatter or hop. I love the newest XLS plows but for gravel the Vee is still best.

· Registered
7,916 Posts
When I'm done plowing for the day, I put my plow shoes back on. Then the next time I plow, I'll do my driveway and my neighbors driveway which are gravel/crush stone first. Then I take them off and do the rest of my plowing.

They go on and off really easy. In my opinion, the shoe kit definitely helps.

Hope this helps, welcome to the site, NYH1.

Reactions: ToMang07
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.