Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning...

I've never owned a plow, but have decided that I'm done with battling the New England snow with a snow blower. I've decided to purchase a plow for my 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. I'll only be using the plow for my own two driveways, and for no other purpose, at all. I've done endless research, and still don't feel like I'm sure of which plow that I want to purchase. I originally leaned toward Fisher, but was told that Fisher doesn't offer stainless blades on their SD plows (I'm not a fan of the rusted out yellow Fisher plows that I see everywhere). That brought me to the Boss HTX, and those reviews seem to be hit or miss. I don't love the two plug design that Boss has (as opposed to Fisher using only one plug). Ease of connecting the plow is very important to me, and I'm told the Boss is a bit quicker to hook up. I don't love the chains clanging around on the Fisher, but appreciate the functionality of being able to hold the plow up, if it fails, and needs to be brought in for service. I'm not sure what the plan is on a Boss plow that will inevitably fail?

The price isn't a huge consideration for me, because both plows are somewhat similar in price. I just want the best plow that I can find for a half ton pickup truck. Although I would prefer a stainless steel blade, I'm not going to forego a better plow in favor of that look. Also, do I want a poly or steel cutting edge? I'm not sure which other features that I need to be looking for. I have a ton of garage space, so the plow will always be stored in my garage when not in use. I'd love to hear from those who are more experienced with the differences between the Boss HTX and the Fisher SD. I'm also open to other options, if there are others to consider. I appreciate any and all feedback.

John

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
Fisher does NOT have a one plug system - they use two plugs

Poly cutting edge will be easier on the surface, if that matters to you, but will not scrape as well as a steel edge will. The majority of SD owners opt to switch to either a steel edge at some point, either immediately or when a replacement is needed.

Most of those "rusted out" plows you are referring to are many years, if not decades, old. There are a great many Fisher plows in New England and there are people using plows still from the 80s and, in some cases, 70s. For your own use on 2 driveways, I seriously doubt the blade rotting away will ever be an issue. But there is no argument that a stainless blade requires no painting at all.

In the event that an issue arises with a BOSS plow, a $25 ratchet strap will do the same job as the chain on the SD. If you buy the BOSS Emergency Kit, they include one for that reason.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fisher does NOT have a one plug system - they use two plugs

Poly cutting edge will be easier on the surface, if that matters to you, but will not scrape as well as a steel edge will. The majority of SD owners opt to switch to either a steel edge at some point, either immediately or when a replacement is needed.

Most of those "rusted out" plows you are referring to are many years, if not decades, old. There are a great many Fisher plows in New England and there are people using plows still from the 80s and, in some cases, 70s.

In the event that an issue arises with a BOSS plow, a $25 ratchet strap will do the same job as the chain on the SD.
Thanks for your reply cwren. The information on the cutting edge is quite helpful, and makes a lot of sense. I may have misunderstood the Fisher dealer when I thought that he told me that it was simply one plug. Also, thanks for the information on the ratchet strap. I assumed that may be the solution on the Boss. Do you have any experience with Boss vs Fisher, even if not these particular models?

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Reactions: cwren2472

· Super Moderator
1,587 Posts
Plow Brand A vs Plow Brand B vs Plow Brand C = Ford vs GM vs Dodge = iPhone vs Android = Belts vs Suspenders. Each has strengths and weaknesses; everyone has their own opinion and favorites.

Most people will tell you it comes down to dealer support. How important that is to YOU depends on how mechanically and electrically handy you are. If the plow doesn't work are you comfortable and capable doing troubleshooting, can you use a test light or DVM, do you have a basic understanding of electrics & hydraulics? If the answers are no, then find the closest dealer with the best hours and reviews and go with them. If the answers are yes, then it really doesn't matter.

For what you will be using it for any of the major players will do the job just fine. I've only had BOSS, hookup & removal is easy IF you are on relatively level ground. Before I got my driveway paved I would (at times) have a heck of a time getting the plow attached. Now that it's paved it's fast and painless. If you can't find a dealer that will demo hookup & removal for you look on youtube, plenty of videos out there on it; some from the mfg, even more from the avg Joe.

Good luck.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
I’m a homeowner that’s been plowing my large country driveway and a neighbor’s for about 16 years. Currently using a 12 year old Western MVP on an F350.

The Western plow is similar to Fisher plows. Mine is not stainless. I’m in salt country, and the moldboard and cutting edge are still original and in great shape. I’ll be in a nursing home before the blade rusts out, so I wouldn’t be too worried about your new plow having to be stainless

Since you’ll be keeping it in a garage, you can unhook it onto dollies and roll it away when you take it off, and roll it back on. Super easy and quick to do once you do it a few times (hint: spray wd-40 on the plow and truck where they hook together)

If it were me, I’d stay away from the Smarthitch for no reason other than it’s not really needed and is, in my opinion, just something electronic that can fail and cause needless issues and headaches.

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
I
If it were me, I'd stay away from the Smarthitch for no reason other than it's not really needed and is, in my opinion, just something electronic that can fail and cause needless issues and headaches.
Smarthitch is standard now on all models of BOSS plows (and has been for a while) - in the event of an issue with it, the tower can still be pushed up by hand in the same way it would if it didn't have Smarthitch.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plow Brand A vs Plow Brand B vs Plow Brand C = Ford vs GM vs Dodge = iPhone vs Android = Belts vs Suspenders. Each has strengths and weaknesses; everyone has their own opinion and favorites.

Most people will tell you it comes down to dealer support. How important that is to YOU depends on how mechanically and electrically handy you are. If the plow doesn't work are you comfortable and capable doing troubleshooting, can you use a test light or DVM, do you have a basic understanding of electrics & hydraulics? If the answers are no, then find the closest dealer with the best hours and reviews and go with them. If the answers are yes, then it really doesn't matter.

For what you will be using it for any of the major players will do the job just fine. I've only had BOSS, hookup & removal is easy IF you are on relatively level ground. Before I got my driveway paved I would (at times) have a heck of a time getting the plow attached. Now that it's paved it's fast and painless. If you can't find a dealer that will demo hookup & removal for you look on youtube, plenty of videos out there on it; some from the mfg, even more from the avg Joe.

Good luck.
Thanks for your feedback Kevin. I definitely understand the points you made about the brand preferences some people have. For me personally, I don't usually gravitate towards just a specific brand. The area I live in will have great support from a Boss dealer or a Fisher dealer, so that doesn't tip the scales for me. As I'm reading here, I'm seeing a lot about "trip edge" versus "full trip"? I'm not sure that I fully understand that, but it sounds like some don't love the Boss design in that area. Both of my driveways are paved, so I don't even know if that's even a consideration for me. Putting the plow on and off my truck easily is REALLY important to me, as I've never done it before, and need it to be as simple as possible. I suspect that I may even drop the plow onto one of my pallets that my wood pellets come on and then wheel it out of place and back into place using my pallet jack. I suspect that would make mounting it onto my truck super easy. At least that's my hope.

John

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smarthitch is standard now on all models of BOSS plows (and has been for a while) - in the event of an issue with it, the tower can still be pushed up by hand in the same way it would if it didn't have Smarthitch.
Cwren...

Can you point me in the direction where I can learn a bit more about what "Smarthitch" is, or just explain what it is? I need to see if that's something I should be concerned about, or perhaps push me more towards the Fisher SD. Thank you.

John

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
"SmartHitch" uses the pump pressure and lift cylinder to push the tower up instead of pushing it up by hand. That's it. It doesnt change the hookup procedure beyond that.

On larger plows, especially V plows, pushing the tower up can take some force. On a plow the size of the HTX, it could be done with one hand if its wasnt powered anyway so it doesnt make a huge difference

· Registered
1,995 Posts
Full trip - the whole moldboard will fold forward

Trip edge - the bottom of the plow has a long piece of steel and is hinged; just that piece will trip

My first plow was a full trip Snoway. It would constantly trip in about 5” of heavy wet snow. I hated it.

My current Western MVP is a trip edge. Much much better.

My advice would be to get one with a trip edge

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
My first plow was a full trip Snoway. It would constantly trip in about 5" of heavy wet snow. I hated it.

Blaming the full blade trip by comparing the snoway to the MVP in that case is a bit like saying "You cant plow with a Chevy. I had an S10 and it didnt plow nearly as well as my F350"

· Registered
1,995 Posts
Blaming the full blade trip by comparing the snoway to the MVP in that case is a bit like saying "You cant plow with a Chevy. I had an S10 and it didnt plow nearly as well as my F350"
They were relatively comparable; plowed same driveway under the same conditions with both plows. Trip edge is much better. Truck pushing the plow makes no difference.

Just look on YouTube at some plowing videos that show full trip plows constantly flopping over in heavy snow. Frustrating even to just watch.

Just my preference - trip edge vs full trip.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Full trip - the whole moldboard will fold forward

Trip edge - the bottom of the plow has a long piece of steel and is hinged; just that piece will trip

My first plow was a full trip Snoway. It would constantly trip in about 5" of heavy wet snow. I hated it.

My advice would be to get one with a trip edge
Thanks for the explanation Seville. It's helpful. Is the Boss HTX a "full trip" plow? If that's the case, that could be the difference maker that I've been looking for.

John

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.