Snow Plowing Forum banner

Fisher Plow won't lift - Whining Noise From Motor

27K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Snow Commandor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I have what I believe is an SD series Fisher Minute Mount I Plow mounted on my Dodge Ram 1500. The plow is 26 inches high and 90 inches wide, I believe it is the SD series.

After the recent snowstorm here in CT the plow suddenly refused to lift. When I hit lift on the controls, I hear a whining noise at the top of the motor.

I cleaned all the terminals with a brush and connections with contact cleaner. The motor seems to have power, but for some reason is not lifting the plow.

Any ideas? I have no way of taking this thing in for service, so I'm willing to try anything.

I have uploaded a video showing the noise and problem here:

Thanks,
Bob

See less See more
1 3
#5 ·
check the pickup in the tank, u need to take the pump off, remove the reservoir tank, and its also a good idea to clean the tank, and check the filter. just don't use ATF fluid, fisher fluid, or SAM blue works as well

#6 ·
This is the closest thing I could find to a service manual for this plow:
http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/27179_070001.pdf

Please tell me if I'm looking at the wrong manual.

For the symptom "Snowplow won't raise-motor runs." they describe several things to check:
- Lift cylinder packing nut too tight
- Clogged pump filter (all functions are affected).
- Worn or damaged pump.
- Poor connections on battery cables.
- Solenoid valve coils not energizing properly.
- Hydraulic system malfunction.
- Defective control.

Would you mind explaining what you meant by don't use fisher fluid? Are you talking about the type of hydraulic fluid that I should put back in? Would you mind giving me a little more info?

#9 · (Edited)
Okay, a few things, and this is soley of assumption, but from my observation (and others)...If there was fluid present I would say your issue would be the ram assembly and seals...but it appears dry. After looking at the video and pictures, it looks like...and I could be wrong here, but it appears that you removed the chain from the A Frame??? That would mean...and it appears, that it's topped out. You state that you can't lower it as well? Assuming (I know...) that is what you did, because you in fact couldn't lower it, the S1 valve is not operating, The ram appears to be at full stroke, so it obviously won't go any higher.

Remove the black cover on the back side of your pump to access your cartridge valves and solenoids. Inspect the wiring at each spade terminal, are they pinched on well enough for a good connection? If so, turn your ignition to the on position, power the controller, and hold the down button for a few seconds until it's in float mode. Now take a screwdriver and place it against the S1 coil, is there magnetic pull?

#12 ·
awjbos;1560324 said:
Hi,

I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I have what I believe is an SD series Fisher Minute Mount I Plow mounted on my Dodge Ram 1500. The plow is 26 inches high and 90 inches wide, I believe it is the SD series.

After the recent snowstorm here in CT the plow suddenly refused to lift. When I hit lift on the controls, I hear a whining noise at the top of the motor.

I cleaned all the terminals with a brush and connections with contact cleaner. The motor seems to have power, but for some reason is not lifting the plow.

Any ideas? I have no way of taking this thing in for service, so I'm willing to try anything.

I have uploaded a video showing the noise and problem here:

Thanks,
Bob
Clearly based on the pictures and video, your lift ram is fully extended! You need to push the lift ram down to the fully collapsed possition, then re adjust your chain. With the lift ram fully collapsed, check your fluid level and top off if needed. Once you've completed these steps you hopefully should be back in bussiness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.