Fisher plow not tripping

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Paslandscaping, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:43 PM.

1. Paslandscaping

Paslandscaping Junior Member

So I’m relatively new to snow removal. Been doing landscaping for the past 15 years and two years ago decided to jump into the plowing business. I’ve been subcontracting for the town and doing town roads the last two years. I bought a f350 dump has central hydraulics with a 9’ fisher minute mount from a town auction

So every time I go out and hit a object the plow bounces up high instead of tripping. The plow has a rubber edge with older beat up cutting edge on top of it. I’m wondering if it’s the trip springs, edge, or rubber edge that would cause this. So it forced me to learn where the manhole covers and dips in the road are in my section and raise the plow. I attached some pics and to me the factory trip edge looks like it was worn down to the correct amount but the edge almost looks bent to me from the first pic. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks in advance.

F127107E-CA90-4F75-95DF-937F48BF50A2.jpeg

BCDE55AA-61B9-433C-9EC4-ECB50807A44C.jpeg

96293D9D-261E-4CBB-8854-26A1F6BE8385.jpeg

11F1E248-52FF-4695-80C5-E00D5027A2A1.jpeg

C1676250-D721-47CF-8E1C-0974F3A4D66A.jpeg

1DE37C2C-C7FB-45BD-A53C-54B5A4AB82AF.jpeg

3691FCC0-9EDC-426D-B387-C2A0CE5855C1.jpeg

2. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

A trip edge will not result in a smooth trip; bouncing is normal.

my Western MVP is a trip edge. When I catch the grass/dirt along the edge of the driveway it’ll trip and the blade will jump pretty harshly

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Its the springs kicking the edge back that causes it to jump, its doing what its supposed too.

4. OP
    OP
    Paslandscaping

I’ve seen other plows around me working and they’re doing like three times the speed I’m doing. I go max like 5mph and when I did hit something going a little faster the first time I used it it shot up four feet in the air crashing down so bad that the plow lights plastic housing that bolts to the plow cracked right off. I just think that the plow edge is not tripping at all.

5. seville009

from CNY

if it didn’t trip, my guess is the truck would have jerked to almost a stop, you would have slammed against the dash, and the plow would have been dented pretty badly. Dies the pliw have visible damage (I don’t see anything significant in the pics you posted)

I guess a test would be to grab another truck/trip edge plow and hit the same object you hit before and see what happens with that plow

6. OP
    OP
    Paslandscaping

Well we have usually two guys to a section and the other guy who plows goes right over the same man hole covers no problems. His plow trips then springs right back up and continues plowing. Not a full trip he has a trip edge like mine. I mean the object is like max 1.5” above grade, I couldn’t imagine hitting a curb by accident with this plow. I’d probably end up through the windshield lol

7. OP
    OP
    Paslandscaping

I think I’m going to try and manually trip the edge by driving it into a curb slowly. All the springs look fine, no cracks or anything, unless they get worn but I would imaging the more worn they are the more easily it would trip not the opposite.

8. seville009

from CNY

But what plow is the other guy using? Your 9’ plow has to be pretty heavy, so it may trip more “violently” than a smaller plow; my 8.5’ plow is about 900 lbs.

If the other drivers have plows similar to yours, maybe just compare the trip edge parts side by side.

9. OP
    OP
    Paslandscaping

Yea my plow is definitely bigger, he’s running maybe an 8’ western could be 7.5. Thanks for the response, it’s just driving me nuts. Maybe it’s driver error, maybe I’m not going fast enough, or sometimes going too fast. Next time I plow which we don’t get a whole lot of snow here I’ll try to post a video to see I it’s normal.

10. Cboxall

Cboxall Junior Member

I have a fleet of 15 F450s. All have the Fisher 9FT HD. Every one of them trip violently I mean to the point that the lights come back hanging off of the truck. I also have 1 7.5FT Fisher on an F350. I have had no issues out of that plow. I have come to the conclusion that it has something to do with how big and heavy they are. They also have more trip springs then the 7.5 and 8FT plows.

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I really cant tell from the picture but your wear edge also appears close to the the end of its life. This might make the trip back quicker with less surface area for the springs to drag back...

12. OP
    OP
    Paslandscaping

ohh wow ok that’s good to know. I also heard from some guys that the rubber cutting edges also have a tendency of bouncing more than a steel edge. My truck is a f350 dump with v10, I wonder if this plow is a little too much for this truck. I was trying to do some research and saw the 9’ was better for f-450’s and up.

13. OP
    OP
    Paslandscaping

Yea so my first year I went to buy a new cutting edge and was sold a 6”x9’ steel edge which was the same height of my worn steel edge. So I brought it back and was told the reason it didn’t fit was because my factory trip edge needs to be worn down first before installing a new cutting edge. So not knowing much I just reinstalled the rubber edge with worn steel over it and went on. So I did some research this week and I found fisher sold a 8”x 9’ cutting edge that is probably the size I need. I’m gonna try and order that and install without that rubber edge crap and see if it improves. I’ll keep posted

14. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

If you put that 8 inch edge on it will trip over everything . Fishers just trip like that . Mine all do . We plow roads when you come to anything that makes your plow trip lift over it . Its always the same spots . Just lift for a second till your over the spot then drop . You get pretty good at it .Thats how you can tell when your getting tired . when you forget to lift and you see the whole plow jump up . Wakes you right up .

Paslandscaping likes this.
  15. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Was looking at the pics again . If anything try to adjust the rubber edge down so its lower then the metal . My son has a rubber edge on the same plow . He said his floats over everything since he put it on like three years ago . His rubber edge is thicker than the on on your plow. We ordered it from a guy in New York . Hes on the net . Look up rubber cutting edge. I called the guy up and he had a better one that wasn't on his web site .It was more money but he said it was just for roads . He was right .My son hasnt had to buy an edge in three years Ive been threw 2 metal ones every year .

16. OP
    OP
    Paslandscaping

yea the second pic was the time I took the rubber off and just had the steel edge on. The rubber is pretty thick. It’s nice that it floats over stuff, but when you want to leave a nice scrape it does a crappy job. It’s also quiet which is nice and won’t damage pavers or cement since it doesn’t scrape. I only sub for the town so I guess I should maybe just leave it for now and remember where those man hole covers are. Just trying to finish up cleanups then I could mess with the plow. I called three places about a cutting edge and none got back to me about the steel edge. One guy said it would cost $200 for the shipping alone but didn’t get back to me with a final price. I was wondering if guys just go to a steel place and drill out the bolts holes themselves. It’s just a a pia finding parts for these things, I usually live on partstree.com for lawn equipment but for this plow it seems impossible not going through a dealer for things.