Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the pump and reservoir. Pick up screen and filter are perfectly clean. Replaced with fresh Fisher Hydraulic fluid. Pump MOTOR runs great, but still no movement. I'm thinking bad pump? Any other choices. Plow was running great the other day, and just stoped?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did now after I took the pump motor off, it spins free. I'm starting to think that I have an electrical problem. Thank God the snow and wind stop here! While it's plugged in I'm going to see if there is power to the solenoids. Does this sound likely ?

· Registered
6,266 Posts
I did now after I took the pump motor off, it spins free. I'm starting to think that I have an electrical problem. Thank God the snow and wind stop here! While it's plugged in I'm going to see if there is power to the solenoids. Does this sound likely ?
If there was no metal on the magnet, I would do as the others mentioned, check for +/- at the actual valve coils.

· Registered
6,904 Posts
If pump isn’t building pressure that could be the problem. Like previously stated try checking power at coils on pump. Really can’t be a fuse.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok if I find power at the coils, more than likely it’s a bad pump? When I took down the reservoir there was a lot heavy black pasty stuff on the magnet, metal? I’m not sure. Does a pump go the quickly?
RepoMan, are you familiar with the old Lake Country Furniture Store, I believe it was in Gotham? My cousin owned it with his brother. He lives in Raymond.

· Registered
6,904 Posts
Did you notice the Pringle’s on the bottom of the hydraulic pump when you first took it apart?

· Registered
6,266 Posts
Ok if I find power at the coils, more than likely it's a bad pump? When I took down the reservoir there was a lot heavy black pasty stuff on the magnet, metal? I'm not sure. Does a pump go the quickly?
RepoMan, are you familiar with the old Lake Country Furniture Store, I believe it was in Gotham? My cousin owned it with his brother. He lives in Raymond.
If there's +/- at the valve coils, than yes, more than likely a pump issue. If the motor sounded bound up, squealing sound, or.. variation in speed tone, than I'd more likely think it's the pump at this point. Regardless checking for magnetic pull or +/- at the valve coils would be my first plan of attack.

If they turn out to be okay, I wouldn't think a pressure test would be beneficial, but it's an option, the next go to item would be to break the pump assembly down again, unbolt the pump from the manifold, see if the small black oring is attached and in good order on the underside, then spin the pump shaft to check for resistance, then break the pump itself down into the 3 layers, check the cog and plate for scoring, more than likely that will be your culprit.

· Registered
6,266 Posts
I think so, they had the place on 25 @ the business park entrance for like 5 years. He contacted me for backup plowing and ice management. He had his own plow. but couldn't handle the bigger stuff or something.

Where abouts are you located?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok going out now to work on the plow, thanks for the info. My cousin own the furniture store about 25/30 years. He sold it about 5 years ago. I'm in upstate NY niagara county. Lake effect snow and a lot of wind off of Lake Erie and snow from Ontario.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
White Light Bicycle part Rim Gas
Thanks for all the help. Took the resavour down today. I suspected the pump. Look what I found when I pulled it apart. Found a dealer locally all pumps are on backorder. Sucks, but he has a used one off of plow tfor hat wrecked($40). So saved $300 bucks. The clue I had was the graphite like sludg in the reservoir when I changed the fluid.

· Registered
6,266 Posts
View attachment 189950 Thanks for all the help. Took the resavour down today. I suspected the pump. Look what I found when I pulled it apart. Found a dealer locally all pumps are on backorder. Sucks, but he has a used one off of plow tfor hat wrecked($40). So saved $300 bucks. The clue I had was the graphite like sludg in the reservoir when I changed the fluid.
Preciously. Good deal on the pump! Thumbs Up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.