Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
for these pumps to go out is as common as the oil pump in your truck to go out.
I actually swung by my local fisher dealer yesterday to bounce some ideas off the service counter, one of the techs said he doesn't see it a lot but at a least a few a year. iirc he did have a recent case of some one losing all directional and it ended up being the pump.

· Registered
17,201 Posts
I actually swung by my local fisher dealer yesterday to bounce some ideas off the service counter, one of the techs said he doesn't see it a lot but at a least a few a year. iirc he did have a recent case of some one losing all directional and it ended up being the pump.
ok
Then why did you mess with everything else
And not pull the pump out?

When you hit float/ lower did that plow drop like a Stone?

because that quill should be easily adjustable and not frozen in place

good luck, you’re still fixing it outside
No difference if you’re messing with the valves or taking the reservoir off..

· Registered
17,483 Posts
I have also seen people seperate the pump and motor not line up the spline properly so it doesn't spin or even strips it over time. Best way to check pressure on the pump without a gauge is to undo an angle cylinder hose, activate that angle and see if it shoots out, dribbles or does nothing.
Chances are if it doesnt shoot out it's the pump/ or pump spline.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
ok
Then why did you mess with everything else
And not pull the pump out?

When you hit float/ lower did that plow drop like a Stone?

because that quill should be easily adjustable and not frozen in place

good luck, you’re still fixing it outside
No difference if you’re messing with the valves or taking the reservoir off..
Well when I showed the techs my controller they all laughed and said thats where the safe money was, so I didn't want to go off half cocked digging into the hydraulics. Its pretty beat up and the rubber sheathing is missing from most the wire bundle. I wasn't able to get my hands on a second known working controller til this afternoon to eliminate that possibility, so idno I do think it was prudent of me to go through all the elec during that down time. At the time yesterday, I was also working with the assumption/HOPE that it was an electrical issue. 8 years plowing I feel like 99% of the issues I've had with these fishers has been electric. So I wanted to be thorough before getting into the hydro.

The last time I dropped the blade...I can't honestly recall if it dropped differently or harder than normal. It might have. Early AM, dozen other things on my mind wasn't really logging it in the ol brain. I agree messing with the hydraulics is gonna suck no matter what. But crawling on the ground and dropping the whole assembly is gonna suck extra.

The fishstik:
Light Automotive tire Gas Eyewear Wood

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
Even though that controller looks F’ed, from what you said about the coils, it sounds like it’s working ok

with the plow on the ground and the fluid full, usually you would be able to angle the plow if it was the pick up tube. Try that first. With the lift cylinder collapsed, there will be enough fluid in the tank that the pump should be able to reach even without the pick up tube

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Even though that controller looks F’ed, from what you said about the coils, it sounds like it’s working ok

with the plow on the ground and the fluid full, usually you would be able to angle the plow if it was the pick up tube. Try that first. With the lift cylinder collapsed, there will be enough fluid in the tank that the pump should be able to reach even without the pick up tube
Yeah the controller ended up being fine, as confirmed with a 2nd controller. From comments others have made, the pump or shaft is looking more the culprit.

I should ask the group though, before I put all my chips on the pump, is it possible there is some debris clogged up in the valve body somewhere that would have stopped all fluid movement? Is it worth pulling cartridges or anything else out of the valve body to examine? Or is such a clog highly unlikely?

· Registered
6,807 Posts
Yes that is deadheading. Pretty sure if pump was locked up motor wouldn’t spin and if pump was broken gear then it could freespool.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Pretty sure that’s for your plow.
You're the man. Looking through this now seems like my first move is to pull the cartridge valves and inspect. The onto the relief valves.

My drop speed quill will probably need replacing too. Just watched a vid of guy putting a new one in and seeing how nice and gently his lowered mine was definitely dropping like a stone.

· Registered
16,975 Posts
If this was just cleaned, remove the sump and take a close look at the filter screen and the bottom of the sump, is there any metal at all there.
I did have one do what yours is doing, one of the pump gears had split, and the pump was hard to turn, so the motor sounded like it was straining.
Not saying that is your issue, but something to look at.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts