Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im in the market for a used polycaster sander and came across a 1st gen polycaster. Now I own a 2nd gen polycaster and a steelcaster, I just wanted to know if I should stay away from a a 1st gen polycaster or not worry about any major issues or breakdowns. Thank you in advance

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
If it's TRUE first generation, the it doesnt have separate controls for spinner and conveyor and it uses a conveyor belt instead of conveyor chain. The belt tended to get bogged down easily if used with sand.

But like anything else used, it depends on the price. If it's very very cheap, it might well be worth it, but beyond that I'd probably stay away. That said, I'd buy a used first gen polyester before most any gas engine spreader for the same price.

· Registered
6,110 Posts
They're a headache, don't bother with it. I don't care what the price is. If it were in pristine condition you'd still be plagued with the typical issues, compound that with the fact that it's atleast 10 years old and has run corrosive material through it it's entire life, no friggin thank you.

· Registered
1,580 Posts
I run a first gen tornado which is the same as a polycaster and I've had it for years with no complaints, it's probably the most reliable thing I own. I did have to replace the motor 2 seasons ago but other then that it's been great. My buddy has 3 of the 2nd gen 2 polycaster and 1 tornado and all 3 seem to always have issues. I'd buy it in a heartbeat

· Registered
17,483 Posts
I ran one for 11 years, 100 tonne a year, still have it. It is a great design, one motor runs it all, in a pinch you can disconnect the module and run straight power to the motor and get through the night. The conveyer is a superior design to a pintle chain, you don’t get a sporadic flow at lower speeds it’s constant. Shear pins on the rollers were a pain to change due to them being covered by the belt and you have to remove the belt to get at them. I changed mine 3 times in 11 yrs. A better design would have been to make the roller rods longer with pins on the outside of the track .
Spreader control is easier now, but there are few electrics that run on one motor. You have 1 spare on the shelf for emergencies, it takes 15 minutes to swap. Get it rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks and it becomes your spare.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sound like you guys have had good luck with your 1st gen polycaster then. If I was to purchase one it still wouldnt be my main salt spreader, I plan on putting it on my spare truck just to have it on there incase of an emergency, It will most likly 80 percent of the time will have 50/50 sand salt in it.

· Registered
6,110 Posts
The polycaster with the conveyor belt and uses one motor to control belt and spinner.
Ah'yup, piece of crap in my humble opinion. More trouble than they're worth. They were a pain in the arse when they were brand new; one that's rounding a decade old at this point...run away. I personally know guys that have bought these for under $600, and have turned around dumped $2k+ into them, and they're still calling me to sand their properties. Just sayin...ya get what ya pay for.

· Registered
1,580 Posts
Wow! I guess I should play the lottery considering how reliable mine has been. I will admit I take extremely good care of it maybe maintenance is key. I'm setting up another truck for next season and I'm waiting to find a clean one in my area. I honestly don't think I'd buy anything else. If you want my opinion buy it and take care of it. It will treat you good for many seasons.

· Registered
6,110 Posts
Wow! I guess I should play the lottery considering how reliable mine has been. I will admit I take extremely good care of it maybe maintenance is key. I'm setting up another truck for next season and I'm waiting to find a clean one in my area. I honestly don't think I'd buy anything else. If you want my opinion buy it and take care of it. It will treat you good for many seasons.
Wait, what...back up, you "wouldn't buy anything else"?? Are you even understanding the differences in the generations with these poly-casters, cause that's a pretty ignorant statement to make if so.

· Registered
1,580 Posts
I have been around the second gen for years, like I said my buddy has 3 of them and I've ran them several times and worked on them countless times. Second I like the idea of having the same spreader so they can be easily swapped between trucks. Third of all have you ever actually used one or are you just talking out of your rear? Kinda seems that way to me. You might be better off giving advice on things you actually have experience and knowledge with.

· Registered
6,110 Posts
I have been around the second gen for years, like I said my buddy has 3 of them and I've ran them several times and worked on them countless times. Second I like the idea of having the same spreader so they can be easily swapped between trucks. Third of all have you ever actually used one or are you just talking out of your rear? Kinda seems that way to me. You might be better off giving advice on things you actually have experience and knowledge with.
Yes, that's it, I have no experience at all with these poly-casters, none whatsoever :rolleyes:, I have only bought and operated roughly 10 of them in the last 11 years. But hey, you...you're like a friggin god, D&D should give you a PHD in them, because you occasional run and work on your friends poly-caster :hammerhead:....are you friggin serious right now? Go back to chewing on paint chips or something. :cool:

· Registered
1,580 Posts
Alrighty then. Good luck to the op on his salter purchase, and as for repoman207, hopefully they get your meds straightened out and your able to find peace with whatever has you so angry and sensitive in life.

· Registered
6,110 Posts
Alrighty then. Good luck to the op on his salter purchase, and as for repoman207, hopefully they get your meds straightened out and your able to find peace with whatever has you so angry and sensitive in life.
It's not anger man, it's called not having any patience for stupidity, not to be confused with ignorance. I'm all for diversity and difference of opinion, but it's tools like you that completely ruin the substance of these threads when you state something to the contrary when you have no real knowledge or experience to back up your statement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.