First year snow plowing wish me luck

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Jacksonpowers, Nov 2, 2018.

1. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome and good luck with the plowing, you will need more than luck with the Ford 6.0

2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Fanatic

You and Mark need to form a support-Hate group...Meetings could start by taking a shot of Fireball

3. LapeerLandscape

You could be the 3rd member, do you like Fireball.

4. LapeerLandscape

Fixed it.

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

I missed that part, there's a guy on here with experience with those.

6. LapeerLandscape

I think there is more than one.

7. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

8. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I have two gas stations in my list, are they 24 hour if they are don't touch it on a fix price, per hour only you will be there at 2a.m to plow and some dickhead will block you or be in the way slowing you down. You want me to smile sit and wait for your customers ok pay for it.
    Those covers on the tanks make sure there when you start and when done, extra carful around the pumps rip a hose off or lose a cover there goes profit.
    Terms send your invoice how long to get paid, interest when they are late pay, they will.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ur screwed.

Bail while you can. Gas stations are the absolute worst.

Make sure you have good gloves to dig thru the piles looking for lids, and metel detector.

FredG, wishfull and dieselss like this.
  10. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite Fanatic

Got the south all mopped up?

11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

Gas stations aren’t the worst, their egg salad is though...
    Op, have you considered subcontracting for someone? Two jobs it’ll be tough, but you may find someone willing to do that

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

Here from my small experience, gas station owners are cheap.

13. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Jackson,
    Are you friends or related to the owners of the gas stations? Do you have a written agreement/contract with your terms (amount, payment, late fees)?
    As perviously stated, gas stations suck as everyone seems to need either gas or fast food during a snow storm. I hope for your sake that these are smaller gas stations that aren't too busy. Also, make sure you know exactly where the owner is okay and not okay with you pushing the snow.

Insurance: Well for starters I hope you have the business license side of things already handled. For starters you will need to drop your basic auto policy and pick up a Commerical Auto Policy. Along with $1 million or more in General Liability including snow plowing coverage. I save 30-50% switching from regular auto insurance to commercial auto insurance and that savings will help pay for the GL policy and snow plowing policy.

DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH A SNOWBLOWER. DO NOT DEAL WITH SMALL DRIVEWAYS. YOU NEED TO STAY IN THE SEAT OF YOUR TRUCK 80-90% of the day to make your money back and maybe be able to quit one job. Good luck.

wishfull likes this.
  14. iceyman

iceyman PlowSite Fanatic

Large parking lots for 200 a push?? How large we talking?

15. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Maybe it's .25" pushes?

But we are all thinking your prices are way to low. You need to give us some sq ft or aerial photos so we can get an idea of the specifics.

16. JT&SONS

JT&SONS Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. Be prepared for the can of worms you just opened up for yourself. Sometimes people forget they were plow virgins themselves. The problem is these same people have loads of knowledge and experience in this industry. And do give great advice. So just take the beating and you will be fine.

Good luck my only advice beings I plowed yesterday for the first time. Is take your time dont get in a hurry. And everything will be fine. I did 72 drives a fraternity a apartment complex and anoth commercial lot. Took 12hrs straight with one truck. But I got it done. With only 3 complaints. Figure that's pretty good.

You got this! Just get insurance you need it make sure it covers snow plowing apecificly!

17. The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers Senior Member

I'll say this, Gas Stations almost made me quit last year with EVERYONE piling in on top of you realizing that station is being plowed. You must have insurance for gas stations or you will risk everything in your position. Think of the long game not short game you'll be alright. By the way it's my second year

OneBadDodge06 likes this.
  18. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd rather sit at home with a 12 cent can of pork and beans, gluing my ripped jeans back together than do another God forsaken gas station again.

Get rid of the 6.0 powerjoke.

Avalanche 2500 likes this.
  19. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

That's no kidding. I'd get so angry I'd start putting piles in front of the entrance if there was more than one to keep the idiots out.

The Snow Punishers likes this.
  20. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite Fanatic

I've done that a couple times. Both for convenience and safety. Now I just cone it off.

One of the guys in the KC area thread just lost an insurance claim after some idiot tried to blast through a snow pile and messed their car to hell.

The Snow Punishers likes this.