Snow Plowing Forum banner

First plowable event in NW INDIANA tonite?!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tim975 
#1 ·
We are supposed to get 4" of snow tonight here in northwest Indiana and I am pumped. This will be my first plowing since I started my business, and I am praying for a good response! Good Luck all and be careful out there !!

#5 ·
What a joke!

KDOG-

In the seven years I've been plowing snow, I've learned one rule- never believe what the weatherman tells you. You can't believe it until you actually see it. Unfortunately you and I live in the wrong part of Indiana. Further east of here is where we need to be (South Bend, Michigan City, etc). I threw the plow on the truck last night, thinking we were gonna have something to work with in the morning, and ended up with nothing. Spent all day yesterday and today monitoring The Weather Channel website and the NWS website, TWC said 3-6" for Chesterton, NWS said nothing. Today, NWS said 3-5" for Chesterton, and it all went to Chicago. Drove all the way to South Bend tonight just to see what they got, out of the 6-12" they were supposed to get, they got about 3-4". Same with Michigan. What a rip-off! I mean with the ridiculous amount of salt that the highway plow drivers dump on the highway around here, you'd think they were expecting a blizzard! I must say kudo's to those of you in New York, hope you make out like bandits. I hope we get our chance around here real soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tim Hager
Tim's Snow Plowing
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
7 1/2 Western Pro Plow

#8 ·
robbed

you guys are right somehow the snow never made it here. How disappointing. I noticed that a lot of parking lots are really iced over this morning though, so I am hoping to get some calls about salting some lots. Nothing as of yet :(

#9 ·
Tim 975,

I feel for you, they were calling for 6-12 in. in LaPorte and St. Joe County for Friday, then went back to 3-5 in. then changed again for a foot by Sun. morning. Well, we ended up getting about 2 inches, had 3 accounts that we plowed, plus another one with a 3 inch trigger call Monday afternoon wanting to be done. They even changed the forecast within 30 minutes of each other, the first time saying no snow, then up to a foot. We have two accounts just inside the Porter county line on 20, checked those, not even snow on the ground. Have to wait to see what happens.

John

#10 ·
Hurry up and wait!

Sorry guys, I know I complain a lot, but I've gotta vent. I just don't understand how some of these meteorologists come up with their forecasts. To a certain extent, I can see it being somewhat tough to predict what the weather is gonna do, but you'd think, with all this high technology, years of experience, and computer animation, it wouldn't be all that complicated. Nothing more annoying than hearing something that's "promising", so you set the alarm clock for 3:00AM, looking out the window only to see grass. Yes, it is still early in the season, especially in northwest Indiana, to get measureable snow. I think I put the plow on the truck only 3 times all last winter! We are all anxious to put the plows on our trucks, and you guys in New York, you keep getting all that snow and you'll have a herd of Hoosiers headed your way! Just kidding :) But for now, we all hurry up and wait. I have a good size leaf pile that the town forgot about for two weeks now, I may go push that around the parking lot to get rid of the shakes. LOL

P.S.-
KDOG and jbutch83, if you're familiar with Michigan City, the old Frank's Nursery (which is a discount store now) by Marquette Mall, they had half a pallet of 20 lb bags of Calcium Chloride for $0.99 a bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.