• Vaccine Priority For Essential Snow & Ice Workers?
    Concerned about COVID-19 and/or potential labor shortages? Click here for a letter to health departments from SIMA emphasizing your priority for the COVID vaccine as an "essential" worker.

Fireside winter gear

OP
fireside

fireside

PlowSite.com Addict
Ok let me start by saying I been using blizzard plows since 2000. We have blizzard skidsteer plows also.
That’s a metalpless plowmax 6/11. Whst we have found with very dry snow it scrapes excellent but here in ct thst doesn’t seem to happen much anymore. We get lots of wet snow or it snowed now raining leaving that slush. Well my blizzards scrape right down the metal pless you just might as well not even try plowing. The slush just pours Thur the hole between wings and under wing shoes basically useless to me. We tried running zero pile at the end coming right behind with a blizzard scraped clean with piles at the end. Now my biggest thing is the shoes. We got it used well I replaced the shoes when I got it. Thst was two seasons ago this year is its third. Well here in trusty ct year one 17” of snow in four events last year a whole 6” we plowed twice once was a steal plow. Well
The shoes are gone but only forward edges. Yea I know tip forward not level ya ya it’s run Dan close to level and in float. I just hate to think I need to rebuild shoes every season just a waste of money and time. We also have boss bx12 boxes after 6 years still on original shoes. I guess for the money I was hoping for a much better all around scraping plow

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Thanks for explaining. I had a Blizzard 8611LP on a truck and a 10’ Snow Wolf on a skid steer. Both scraped very well. The versatility of the Metal Pless being able to be different sizes always intrigued me but cost and availability ruled it out. The Snow Wolf was so simple and worked so well and priced fair.

512high

I'm kinda new to Metal Pless, so I can only say what I have experienced, I have a Plowmaxx 8-36-14 with live edge , plow ways about 2,300 lbs, Fireside, you are right ....you have to dial it in just right, and if your loader has kickouts, for settings etc life is easier.

There is a learning curve, these are not cheap plows as you know, so went for the top line, I saw the base model, I looked at HLA snow wing, talked to someone that had a snow wing and sold it to get a live edge and wouldn't go back.

Since tha, t I am aware HLA has a "flex edge", I don't know how that is or compares to MP. I will say MP Paint seems to hold up better then HLA, again my two cents. Maybe your shows keep wearing replace or maybe have carbide made instead? I have not plowed slush yet....

Everyone has a budget ,I always suggest investing that kind of money, always ask people that have them, pros and cons, like anything else....

OP
fireside

fireside

PlowSite.com Addict
Oh I hear the budget part load and clear with almost no snow. The new shoes are made of shark steel it’s west bar steel from mining industry. We been looking at the plow the a frame level didn’t hold water completely.as it goes down the lot afrmewill change nonstop as floats.