1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

F250 Vs. F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ZoomByU, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. ZoomByU

    ZoomByU Member
    Messages: 76

    I'm looking to get a new truck for next year and wondering about the real difference between the 250 and 350. Is the only difference the GVWR? Priced out the way I want it the price difference is only $700 more for the 350. Is that extra 1000lbs of payload worth it?
  2. MJM Landscaping

    MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 259

    f250 1 7/8" rear blocks f350 2 7/8" rear blocks
  3. iceyman

    iceyman 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,925

    for 750$ why not just go with the 350.
  4. KLM Service

    KLM Service Junior Member
    Messages: 18

    Don't forget the brakes..... Brakes and payload are the only dif....
  5. ZoomByU

    ZoomByU Member
    Messages: 76

    What do you mean rear blocks?
  6. ZoomByU

    ZoomByU Member
    Messages: 76

    Most people tell me to get a 350 but I just want to make an informed decision.
  7. linckeil

    linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT
    Messages: 1,272

    what is the GVW? if you don't have commercial insurance, i know some standard insurance policies have a problem with a 10,000 plus GVW. also in some states a higher GVW impacts registration cost. something you should consider if you really have no need for the additional payload of the 350.
  8. ZoomByU

    ZoomByU Member
    Messages: 76

    the 250 is 10000 and the 350 11500
  9. LawnProLandscapes

    LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,129

    get the f-350. you will have more payload and not have that dang rear end lower than the front due to the smaller blocks
  10. doh

    doh Senior Member
    Messages: 253

    F 350 TPMS means running 80psi min in the rear tires. Not bad if the truck is loaded, but rough riding while empty.
  11. Ggg6

    Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL
    Messages: 521

    I don't know about the new coil suspensions but I have a 2000 F350 SRW and for the price difference it was a no brainer to get the 1-ton SRW. In IL no special insurance or licensing with either F250, F350 SRW, I just run B-truck plates albeit I am over weight with the plow on. Also I don't run 80 psi tires either, I have e-rated tires, but let the weight and tire tread contact pattern determine my tire pressure. I am usually around 50 psi. Considering you are in the suburbs you might get hassled about truck plates because there are a lot more boulevards and other no truck stipulations around where you live then where I am at. But a F250 v/s F350 will have no bearing on that argument. Usually I have found B plates will not get you in trouble for driving in a no truck route whereas D plates and heavier will. But there are a few towns in your area that are real picky on the no truck routes. D-truck plates will require biannual inspections as well, B-truck plates do not. There is also a difference in what trailer license plates you can tow between B v/s D plates. But I am getting off on a license plate tangent so I better stop. IMO I would get the 1-ton.
  12. harddock

    harddock Member
    from mass
    Messages: 67

    When I got mine (2006) it was an $80 difference and one leaf spring.
  13. rjfetz1

    rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.
    Messages: 640

    You could save $700.00 and just buy a set of Timbrens for the 250 and you will be able to carry a ton. I had a Dodge 2500 that I could not carry more than 3/4 ton, then added Timbens and had 1.5 tons many times. With Timbrens the rear end goes down about 3" then comes in contact with the Timbrens and really doesn't go down much more but also stabilizes the ride.
  14. Mark Oomkes

    Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,249

    For arguments sake, a 350 will cost you in more ways than 1, because you will now need a Med Examiner's certificate for anyone who operates it. A 250 will not.

    But I have 550's too, so I could care less and would go with the 350.
  15. DFLS

    DFLS Senior Member
    Messages: 339

    You could add whatever form of suspension mods wesportor even convert it to a dually but you still cannot carry more weight than what is on the door sticker for GVWR legally. Usually around a ton for a 250. Sure I have timbrins and have had 5,500 pounds in the back of my 3/4 ton Dodge, but DON'T GET CAUGHT overweight. Then you will pay lots more than $700 in fines.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  16. rjfetz1

    rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.
    Messages: 640

    Giving advice while breaking the law............:dizzy:
  17. duff daddy

    duff daddy Senior Member
    Messages: 151

    ooh well i have me a nice 350 here and im one of the lucky guys who has a 3" rear block lol just to the added options of rear blocks and clear 35x13.5x18s all around on the harley rims
  18. Ggg6

    Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL
    Messages: 521

    Mark what are you talking about, needing a medical card? The only license that requires a medical card in IL is a CDL, and only if you are driving for hire. Maybe you need a medical card for a regular license (non CDL) in MI but that is a moot point since the OP lives in IL.
  19. ZoomByU

    ZoomByU Member
    Messages: 76

    not that it matters but I have a dot physical card for my other job even though I don't drive
  20. Mark Oomkes

    Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,249

    New requirements or maybe they're going to just start enforcing old ones like USDOT numbers.

    Any commercial vehicle with a GVW greater than 10,001 requires a Med Ex certificate just like you need for a CDL.

    Any vehicle or combination of vehicles over 10,001 require USDOT numbers.

    These are federal requirements, not state, so sooner or later everybody will have to comply. Makes no difference whether it's interstate or intrastate.