1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ext worth scrap metal

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowplower1, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I totally understand why one would want an expanding plow vs a V for most situations. I also understand wanting the ability to swap between plows\trucks.

But I also wouldn't trust a plow that has obvious design flaws.

Who told you that you had the only one that Boss was buying back? Boss? I'd believe that.......NOT.

Maybe they will have it figured oot by next year. But I wouldn't want to find oot.

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

So I brought in the truck today because the plow frame itself got messed up again. Apparently this was really messed up. I'm post pics when I get them from them.
    My buddy is worried it was bad enough it messed up my truck. They're looking into that now whether my truck was affected or not. Don't even know what I would do if the truck itself is messed up.

3. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

So what your saying is possibly it was operator abuse after All? They are slamming the plow hard enough that they are worried they messed up the truck frame? You might want to delete that post. I wouldn't want Boss to see this after they offered a buyback.

4. snowplower1

That's not at all what i was saying. I was saying that by the last time i had a defect in the plow it messed up the undercarriage. I am the only one that has plowed with that plow and truck. That plow has not been slammed into anything and i gain nothing by lying to you guys about that. This plow has been plowed with the same way any other of my plows has been plowed with.
    The problem I see is that when this plow is extended to 10 ft and i have a full load of snow on the plow and i angle the plow a little, the whole thing slams one way or the other. It hits far harder than it should. This has nothing to do with operator error. All I do is angle it a little bit to get a better windrow (i dont hold it all the way over) but it for some reason slams over.
    Honestly this plow and design of this plow has let me down. I think it needs major work before I trust a plow this big on one of my trucks.

5. snowplower1

But yes, we found that pretty much my entire undercarriage twisted up. Now my buddy worked on this and he told me it is consistent with the problem I have with the plow slamming one way or the other when it shouldn't. I believe it ties into that major problem i had back in late december/early january where the plow actually snapped off on the one side of the mount. When that happened that plow was so twisted up on the truck. I believe it compromised the undercarriage and after all the plowing I got to do this year I think it just continued getting worse and worse.
    Now before people go saying I'm doing something wrong to make the plow slam one way or the other, it is hard to describe but what I'm saying is i only angle the plow say halfway and instead of it stopping where I say to, it goes all the way angled and when doing so with a full load that plow hits so very hard.

6. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Do these plows have adjustable crossover relief valves? My V plow does. Sounds like that's your problem.

7. snowplower1

I do not know if they do or not but you'd think they would. I was just looking back at some of my pictures of my past problems. One of them shows the second time my angle stop was knocked just about off. It assures me that the problem is to much weight with the plow fully loaded. The only way to mess those up is really having to much weight smash into them

8. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Sounds like adjusting the relief valves will prevent the problem from happening. If they are adjustable. I know if it happened to me I would be out there adjusting them after the first time it did it. not saying this is the problem for sure, but it makes the most sense.

9. snowplower1

I refuse to touch any part of this plow. My dealer gets to touch any plow until it's out of warranty. I told them about the way that is happening. They are acting like these things are my fault but I keep telling them look back at all my other plows. That's proof I'm not abusive to equipment.
    I never have structural problems. Heck this year we plowed almost 110 inches I had 2 plow breakdowns. Both were my Western plows which are two of my oldest plows. My other 2 boss plows performed great all year. This plow isn't just a coincidence that all this is happening. There's a reason and it's becoming frustrating because boss is starting to act like it's my fault.

10. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Ask your dealer to verify that the relief valve is set to 3500psi then. That's what the Boss repair manual states it should be set too. Under the trouble shooting section for your plow it states that if the plow won't hold angle the dealer needs to check there are no debris in the relief valve, and to verify that pressure relief is set properly.

11. snowplower1

I will do that! Thank you very much for that information!

ktfbgb likes this.
  12. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

it would be nice if they made a larger stronger one for like a 550.

13. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Veteran

They can't even get one to hold up on a wonton. How in the hell do you think they'd manage to keep one together on a truck that can gvw as high as 19500 pounds?

14. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Veteran

It would be nice to see a stronger one for a 250-350 first..Put down the Koolaide

15. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Veteran

Could you imagine what a pretzel that would be...:eek:

16. Mark Oomkes

I like pretzels.

17. Mark Oomkes

Fixed it for ya!

John_DeereGreen likes this.
  18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Veteran

Even the scrap yards would laugh at you bringing in the pieces...wouldn't even be enough to make it worth selling as scrap.

This plow is a miserable failure.

19. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

With mustard, and a bottle of Bud

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  20. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member