Snow Plowing Forum banner

ext cab vs full 4door for plowing

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Pelican 
#1 ·
I've heard that the shorter wheel base (ext cab) is better for plowing. I'd prefer the full 4 door (longer wheel base) but have been told it's not as good. I need a back seat for the kids. any suggestions? paul, north wales/lansdale. PA

#2 ·
PJM- I believe it would depend on the type of plowing that you do. A four door long bed truck would be fine for large open areas like parking lots, but would be cumbersome in tight, residential driveways. Even with a regular cab, long bed, some of the residential driveways I do are pretty tough. Good luck, Mike

#3 ·
Most of my plowing is with a crew cab truck and though it is cumbersome in the driveways. It does wonderful in parking lots.

Wouldn't worry about it, as with anything you get used to it and you get to know your truck.

Also, when buying think about the actual number of times you plow v times you don't. At least in our area I can deal with the big truck.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
I stopped using the extended cab for plowing because I find I don't need the extra blind spot between the door and the rear 1/4 window when backing into streets to plow drives, I/ve never plowed in a 4 door, maybe with the extra glass on the side it might be ok. The extra wheelbase will be a pain in tight places.

Bill

#5 ·
This will be my first year with my new 02 F-350 Crew Cab diesel 4x4! After many years, in many different plow truck combinations, I have come to a conclusion............use a back plow and the additional length or possible blind spots will not be as much of an issue!

If you face ANY challenges on your plow job sites(small lot, loading dock ramps, dead end drives, dead end drives with dumpsters at end, etc. - you will find there is no job you can not accomplish with a back plow/front plow combination!

My truck will have a Meyer 8.5 poly in front(have 6 others......I figured I would stay consistent), Snowman 8 RS pull plow-yellow(have used Daniels pull plows with great results, however can not use a tailgate salter with it.), Fisher tail gate salter...........as you may note I'm staying with the all yellow theme.

On a side note.........I view the investment of a back plow as a source of rear ballast, a second bumper(no accidental expensive vehicle damage-not to mention virtually eliminates back dragging) and a great way to capture and plow snow(similar to a snow pusher).

I'll post pictures of my truck once snow equipments installations complete..............I'm about half way there!

ChicagoSnow

#6 ·
Shorter wheelbase = tighter turning radius. Like the others said, your accounts and desired production level will determine what is right for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.