1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cutter150, Apr 17, 2001.

  1. cutter150

    cutter150 Junior Member
    Messages: 3

    i just bought a 96 gmc z71 and am looking for good exhaust idea, ive looked into flowmaster and dynomax and they seem to be relatively similar. What about no mufflers? my buddy has a truck identical to it and he has no mufflers, just the catilytic converter. I could defenetly go for the sound, but i do not want any loss of power i have heard associated with it. I am after a very aggressive sound
    i would appreciate any advice
    thank you
  2. MTCK

    MTCK Senior Member
    Messages: 346

    I had a friend who put a two chamber flowmaster on his 88 1/2 ton with a 350, and it wasn't very loud. Then he took it off and went with straight 3" pipe from the cat. It was about comparable to my truck, which has dual 40 series flowmasters with no cats, 3" pipes. Sounded good. He said he didn't feel a loss of power. If you have dual cats, you might think about running true duals with no mufflers, one out each side. He said he didn't feel a power difference between the flowmaster and no muffler, and had more power over stock with both. Hope this helps.
  3. cutter150

    cutter150 Junior Member
    Messages: 3

    yeah, thats what i thought, and it would be the most cost effective as well, i was just a little scared i would notloose power rather than gain, by putting money into my truck,thanks
  4. John DiMartino

    John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran
    Messages: 2,154

    The Vortec 350 has dual cats,you can run them only-but I would go with the american thunder (2 chamber)flowmaster if it were mine,nice mellow sound,yet authoritive when your in it,that doesnt drone in the cab when towing or cruising.