Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
We are getting to the time of year where we will be moving out our winter equipment and bringing in the summer items.

What do you guys use to coat your plows? I've heard of guys spraying with oil to prevent corrosion, but there must be some better alternatives???

· Super Moderator
10,617 Posts
I’ve only coated my moldbord with with wax at the car wash, movable parts with fluid film.
I try to keep the plow dry and out of the sunlight but not under a tarp

· Registered
58,697 Posts
I park it on the salt pile.

· Registered
58,697 Posts

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Honestly, we've done a crappy job in the past. I was hoping it would be different last year but when the weather goes from 2" of ice\snow in the middle of April to the 90's a few weeks later, my hopes went down the crapper.

The plan is to wash everything with Salt Away. Grease\lube any moving parts. Not even going to dream about touching up the paint.

Shoot, we just put the Vbox in the Sterling a couple weeks ago, the one we bought in January.

I was looking in my "storage" area and don't even have close to enough room for everything.

· Registered
58,697 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
The end of another crappy winter. Carrier broke on our loader with pieces missing. Had to order new one. Dump truck box needs sandblasting and repainting. Two new 3/4 ton's with body damage. Scared to look at our sidewalk machines. Health issues had me rely on others and it shows. My son works hard but he and his crew are also hard on equipment. Feel like parking the whole lot on a salt pile but I guess a lot of it is needed for the summer. So out comes the pressure washer and rust preventative along with the paint and grease guns. It'll all look new when I'm done but I feel just too old for this every spring.

· Registered
7,360 Posts

· Registered
7,360 Posts
Dump box is getting new crossmembers.
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Building

Going to sand blast and paint the frame
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

The boss plow needed new cutting edges.
Crap, I thought I had pictures of that. Found some rust that got patched up yesterday. Going to sand and repaint the bottom edge on the back and the moldboard.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
We got water pressure wash everything multiple times. Usually a 2-3 day process to make sure it’s pretty spotless. After that we adjust, grease bearings etc as needed. Final step is fluid film on just about everything steel. Plows, sanders etc all get sprayed. We buy a five gallon pail or two a year and it’s been amazing. Our stuff is stored outside currently and the fluid film has done a great job. Our new shop is going to get pallet racking inside so hopefully things will stay even nicer.

Short answer, hot water pressure washes and fluid film.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
I just do the basic,same as I do after every storm.Power wash ,salt away, touch up any scratches,grease the bearings in the salter,some lithium grease on the plow parts that move,,sta-bil in blowers,dielectric grease in the plugs .Everything is stored inside on dollies so its a little easier than outside storage. I'm ready to hookup and go! I used to cover my plows when outside.Important to use a "breathable cover". I would wd40 the exposed part of cylinders ,the salter chains would be wd'd or pb blasted. If salter is gas I would take the battery out and store inside. Just the common sense approach. Won't matter anyways, nothing will work next year once the summer "gremlins" have their way !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.