1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

engine identification needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Garet, Apr 18, 2001.

  1. Garet

    Garet Senior Member
    Messages: 106

    I need to figure out which year my 350 is. The engine code in the back is 6970010 if I didn't read it wrong. I need to get a new oil sending unit.

  2. Garet

    Garet Senior Member
    Messages: 106


    make that 6 a 3. my bad.
  3. Garet

    Garet Senior Member
    Messages: 106


    According to one site this is the block used from 69-79. What info do I actually need to tell which sending unit to use?
  4. Alan

    Alan PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,393

    I think the sending unit will depend more on what year and options the truck has than what year the engine is. If you have guages you will need a different sender than if you have idiot lights.
  5. Garet

    Garet Senior Member
    Messages: 106

    Guage bought

    I just bought a mechanical guage and it has a sending unit in it which is almost the exact same size as the one I just took out. I don't see why I just couldn't put this one in. How far off could the reading actually be?

  6. 75

    75 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,382

    Garet - looking in one of my books, casting # 3970010: years used; '68 - '76. Same block that's in my truck actually.

    As for the sending unit question, you say you just bought a mechanical gauge. Does it come with a sending unit, or an adapter to connect a small flexible line to your engine & pipe the oil right into the gauge?

    Regardless of what it is, I would use the components that came with your gauge. No point taking any chances with your oil pressure reading!