1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

End of season equipment care? What works best?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rick W, Mar 19, 2017.

1. rick W

rick W Member

As it appears the end of the season is here we are working on clean up/wash and put away plows and salters.

Just wondered what others do and if there is a better plan

We pressure wash, steam, lift, rotate,re-clean all and then spray all fasteners, fittings, weld joints etc (anywhere salt can hide) with LPS3 (found it a little better than fluid film) and put in dry storage. Works fairly well but notice on a few things like snow blowers/atvs etc, if we miss some linkage up under control panel its just horrible with rust in just one summer. Other than cleaning and oiling..anyone do anything else? We did some brining this year...and you can hear the equipment rust so just trying to do a perfect job this year so when we crack the sea can open in the fall...there is not just a big pile of rust powder.

turfdanielle likes this.
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

how is the ventilation? might need a couple of vents to keep air moving inside and let moisture out

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

If you're leaving it in a sea container, that will not breath. Put in a few vents.

allagashpm likes this.
  4. rick W

rick W Member

Yes, thanks, we have used sea cans for years and have added lots of vents. Amazing storage for the $$. Summer machines all come out, winter salters plows etc all go in, dry, out of weather and sun and secure. Good ventilation and shop floor space is maximized for what is being used.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I change fluids. No point in dirty fluid or moisture sitting in pumps/engines all summer long. This way I don't have to deal with "It worked when I put it away". Clean and grease all electrical connections. Don't forget to clean connection caps that have been filling with crap all season before putting them on. And make any need repairs before putting equipment away. Touch up any paint.

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen 2000 Club Member

We started using Hotsy Salt Lick this winter. It's working great at neutralizing salt and leaving the surfaces shiny clean.

Quick grease/oil of pivot points, electrical parts cleaner in plugs, followed by dielectric grease, and touch up paint as needed. Oil gets changed in the fall. All our stuff stays in our main shop though so plenty of airflow.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

I wash em, park em. Spray the pistons and electrical connections with grease. I put the plows on skids so there not on the ground.

8. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

I just power wash everything, wash with salt-away,grease salter bearings and clean plugs and put dielectric grease on all plugs.Add stabill to gas in snowblowers.Try to start blowers throughout warm weather from time to time.Found out its worth it to split the motor case on my electric spinner assembly and make sure there's no "salt water" inside.Takes 5 minutes.I store everything inside so it stays in remarkable shape.