Early 810 with 12 port block.

Phoenixengineer

I purchased an 810 of unknown serial with the 12 port block. No one I have talked to can tell me anything about it much less figure out how to make it work. Guess that is now my job since it was down all winter. It is installed on a 2000 f350 superduty and has issues. I am unable to find specific information from dealers. I built a test module to manually cycle the various functions of the 8 hose blade and frame. I am having to reverse engineer the hydraulics and electrics to verify operation and function. Does anyone have a port out diagram of the hydraulics and solenoids that matches? I am still trying to confirm the hoses are correct and what is supposed to do what and when. I had to un- tweak a double solenoid valve and all valves have operational travel now. This is where I am right now to figure out how it is supposed to work. The hard way. Currently I have function tested the wings and angle function, but it acts like a valve is not returning on occasion and the pump loads down without anything moving. I have swapped the double valves in 3 places and it still seems to randomly happen until it sets long enough for internal pressure to relieve itself.

Last edited:

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Are you testing this on the actual plow or on a bench?

I'm a bit confused about what you purchased. When you say 12 port block, you purchased this plow with no hoses or fittings on it?

Can you post a pic of the plow and manifold?

OP
P

Phoenixengineer

I purchased this unit after an engine fire toasted the main harness. Mechanically it is in good shape after I went through it. I hand built a controller that will manually operate 4 different solenoids with pump operation on the plow itself with no truck attachment. All the wiring was screwed up and I have no idea if the hoses are correctly attached or in sequence. I can operate both wings and rock forward with my manual test box. I can lift and angle both ways by manually connecting to test the solenoids and valves. It is sitting on the bed of my truck that is supposed to carry it. Makes a decent work station for now. It uses Parker DS083L single solenoid valves and Parker DS085C1 double valves. The 85C1's are a unicorn to locate and I have no clue what the original Blizzard part numbers are for anything.

Attachments

bliz&hinikerDLR

8 hoses for wing functions. Cwren posted a diagram that may be right. This is the first year 810 with the springs on the draw latch and lift cylinder. I have a brand new loaded manifold to compare to. I’ll try to post a pic tomorrow. Also, I have service manuals for this plow as well but most of what the OP needs is probably on the Blizzard website. Just make sure you are looking at the ‘99 model year 810.

bliz&hinikerDLR

Im not sure what info the OP needs right now. In regards to the loading up of pressure described in the post, the wings contain two cylinders on each side, one to control the slide in-out and another to cup and return the wing. The hydraulic circuit has “sequence” valves that are set to divert the fluid to either of the two cylinders on each wing set to make the wing function properly. If your hoses aren’t connected properly, the circuit will malfunction.

OP
P

Phoenixengineer

I will agree that this is probably a very early PP810. Can not locate a serial number anywhere. 4 hoses per blade end. It has the spring mechanism on the latch unit as mentioned. I have rebuilt the frame and reinforced it as was done in later models. All alignment was done to the undamaged angle cylinder bosses to get the lead correct. It has new angle cylinders since it was so loose that the originals were literally crimped into the frame itself. A schematic showing the respective cylinder ports to block port will eliminate any cross connecting. I had to build a test block to manually operate any of 4 solenoids with or without pump operation to test functions, thus my reverse engineering. It is in awful good condition considering it is officially and antique. The Parker DS085C1 double solenoid valve appear to be functional as do the Parker DS083L,s. I have no idea what part number blizzard used and the 85C1 seems to be a unicorn to locate.

OP
P

Phoenixengineer

I would say that you nailed it. Time to do some tracing out. I printed off the image. It is not real clear but I can fill in the blanks by looking at my own block. My biggest concern now is checking the porting of the hoses, and I now have enough to check them all. It appears that in certain functions, multiple coils are energized.

With the valve plugs removed, is it a reliable test to energize the respective coils and check for plug movement to confirm operation? I did have an 85C1 that got hit with a flying limb during a certain derecho storm here, and was physically bent and hung up. I placed it in in my lathe chuck and re straightened it with a dial indicator to less than .001 concentrically, and it appears to travel freely compared to the other two. Also seems to flow 'normally' when in operation compared to the other two.

bliz&hinikerDLR

With the valve plugs removed, is it a reliable test to energize the respective coils and check for plug movement to confirm operation? I did have an 85C1 that got hit with a flying limb ...
Yes and no. You can bench test a valve in the manner you described with good reliability but there is not always visible movement depending on the style of valve it is. As with most mechanical devices, a bench test of the valve is not accurate 100% of the time.