Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 gmc 4500 6.6 duramax with no heat. I just run it for about 45 minutes and the temp never moved until I got within 1/2 mile back to my yard and the temp gauge goes all the way to the red and then back to just below normal and no heat out of the heater until that point. My first thought is thermostat but it has 2 and whats the chance of them both going bad. This has been going on for a little while and it has been going through anti freeze and doesnt seem to be leaking it.

· Registered
15,921 Posts
Head gasket(s).

· Registered
15,921 Posts

· Registered
15,921 Posts
I hope that isn't the case, t-stat cheaper

· Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope that isn't the case, t-stat cheaper
With the anti freeze loss I'm pretty sure its the gaskets after reading the article I just wasnt sure how the no reading on the temp gauge tied into it. I'm not big on snake oil type product but we tried some K-seal as I had heard good things about it but it didnt seem to work.

· Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put one of these in an old loader before might be an option for ya....

View attachment 188968
Its are primary salt truck that my son usually runs, he can suffer. We need to get it fixed but it will have to wait till I fix the other sreader that I broke Saturday. Broke the output shaft from the gear box, maybe I will take a ic of it. Good thing is we have a spare.

· Registered
17,111 Posts
With the anti freeze loss I'm pretty sure its the gaskets after reading the article I just wasnt sure how the no reading on the temp gauge tied into it. I'm not big on snake oil type product but we tried some K-seal as I had heard good things about it but it didnt seem to work.
Do you have a cooling system pressure tester? If yes, fill with coolant, put on the tester and run the engine at high RPM, see what you get. If it jumps up high right away, points to a head gasket.

· Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have a cooling system pressure tester? If yes, fill with coolant, put on the tester and run the engine at high RPM, see what you get. If it jumps up high right away, points to a head gasket.
Yes I have one, will have to get the adapter for the plastic reservoir. Thanks

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.