Dump trailers

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
On my dump boxes I prefered the telescopic that I started with it was much faster and more power. It was gravity down though which in the winter really sucked.
Having said that the power down scissor lifts do everything I need them to do and have made loading heavy items a breeze without a loader, just tie it to the tailgate and power down now its in the truck...
Dumb question, and forgive me because I know you’re in the metric system, but how does power down lift something into the truck?

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Dumb question, and forgive me because I know you’re in the metric system, but how does power down lift something into the truck?
You put your dump up, tailgate down back up to the item tie it to the box/tailgate and put you dump down...voila...its up where you need it to be...
Youre welcome for this trick,...
Also makes Tree removal go fast if you tie it to the box cut it off and lower it.. voila all the hard work of loading is done. Strap it down and drive away...

**Follow me for easy tricks to look like a genius when youre not.

prezek

Looking for feedback on what everyone uses for a dump trailer. I'm looking at getting a 14ft 14K GVRW dump trailer. Locally I have H and H, MaxxD, Lamar, and Sur Trac. I've been leaning towards either the Sur Trac or the H and H. No one has a Sur Trac in stock, and wont for at least a month. I can get a H and H for 8100 and pick it up this week/weekend. Any other brand I should consider? Things to look for?
I’ll bring it up...what are you pulling it with? Make sure you aren’t combined over 26k or anyone that will be pulling it will be in CDL territory...if that is a concern.

Kinport

I run a couple PJ 7x14’s that have held up admirably considering what a cowboy operator I am and that they see fairly heavy use. We busted the weld on the ram that ties into the scissor, that wasn't too hard of a fix, and I fried the charge pack/pump motor after completely submerging the pump/battery housing crossing a river a bunch of times. Don’t do that, they don’t like water. Also about lost a wheel when a hub bearing went out a few months ago, I posted some pictures somewhere on here when that happened. For the abuse and mileage they see I think they’ve held up well.
C2D48235-FFAD-494B-A4DB-367FCD86A27C.jpeg

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
I run a couple PJ 7x14’s that have held up admirably considering what a cowboy operator I am and that they see fairly heavy use. We busted the weld on the ram that ties into the scissor, that wasn't too hard of a fix, and I fried the charge pack/pump motor after completely submerging the pump/battery housing crossing a river a bunch of times. Don’t do that, they don’t like water. Also about lost a wheel when a hub bearing went out a few months ago, I posted some pictures somewhere on here when that happened. For the abuse and mileage they see I think they’ve held up well.
View attachment 216665
Something something 2 bolts....

Kvston

I’ve been running a 7x14 bri mar 14k for 7 years that I bought used. Besides one hydraulic hose ( stone bouncing from road ) and a set of batteries it been trouble free. I did replace the jack but that’s my fault. I didn’t grease the old one.

it’s a lift cylinder model. Somewhat slow IMO but reliable. I’ve scaled it at 7 ton loads once or twice and it didn’t like it. 6.5 ton it does. Probably averages 20 loads over 30 miles each per year.

GMC Driver

PlowSite.com Addict
We have a local trailer builder here - Advantage Trailer. I had them build me a 7 ton tandem in 2011. Spec'd it with a C-channel frame, instead of standard box tube. It's a telescoping ram style, and has done everything we've ever needed it to. Other than operator error/abuse (bent doors, dings and dents), it has stood up very well. Still sits flat, no twists. The C-channel was a wise choice, no rot through like box tube.

This spring spent a few $$ on it and had new box sides welded in. Wet grass clippings are killer, the bottom of the sides where they meet the floor were rotted through. But after 10 years, I'm not going to complain. I did think of replacing the trailer, but prices have gone silly.

https://www.k-trail.ca/en/dumpers - these are now $12-14k depending on outfit.

https://bluewatertrailers.ca/catalogue?id=628 - these were $16k this winter, now $21k

https://www.millroadtrailers.com/trailer-types/dump-trailers/ - got a quote from here too, and was $24k.

So the old trusty steel dump trailer stays for a bit yet.

MIDTOWNPC

PlowSite Fanatic
I find the used market on dump trailers is so good that I just sell my dump every two years and buy a new one. I get almost what I paid for.

Quality Steel and Aluminum Product out of Elkhart Indiana is where I have bought the last few.