Snow Plowing Forum banner

Duh

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Eclipse 
#1 · (Edited)
I can't find info on model number of the halogen light bulbs or sockets used in the Federal Signal Jetsonic lightbar. I'm usually pretty good at pulling up info like that. Anyways, what I looking into is replacing the halogen bulbs in the rotators, take downs, and ally lights with LEDs. Just the simple ones that plug into the light bulb sockets. Want LEDs that are as bright or brighter then the halogen lights currently in it. Want lower amperage draw on the trucks electrical system, and from my understanding, LEDs last longer, and don't produce no where near the heat the halogen bulbs do. Anyone have a link for what I need ???

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
After reading another thread, I'm not sure I want to anymore. The heat the bulbs put off keeps the lightbar from icing over. That might be a issue with LEDs. If I do anything at all to it, might add a strobe kit. But on second thought, what would be the point ??? 4 rotators do a damn good job all by themselves. Thanks for that link. Has everything I wanted to know about my lightbar and alot more.

#6 ·
Nope, just a plow guy. Here in Nebraska it's not a problem to run blue lights on your snow plow. The vast majority still run amber, but a few plows have blue lights. City/county plow trucks run blue/amber strobes. I might Blue/Amber/Blue if I can find (4) amber inserts for a fair price.

#10 ·
Omaha Plowboy;447000 said:
Nope, just a plow guy. Here in Nebraska it's not a problem to run blue lights on your snow plow. The vast majority still run amber, but a few plows have blue lights. City/county plow trucks run blue/amber strobes. I might Blue/Amber/Blue if I can find (4) amber inserts for a fair price.
Yeah I edited my post after I read in another thread about your state laws. Here in Michigan blue is strictly for police use only. Red is for every other emergency vehicles and tow trucks here are allowed to have them. Then you have your amber for "caution". Purple is funeral and green is incident command. You can combine clear with any setup. Federal Signal is good stuff my siren and siren speaker are Federal Signal. All of my lighting is CODE 3 though. Actually let me know if your looking to add to your light setup Plowboy, I have a CODE 3 deck blaster and I have blue lenses for it. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=52484

- Kevin

#11 ·
Only thing I want are (4) Amber inserts. The Blue inserts look nice, but I'm thinking BLUE/AMBER/BLUE would produce a interesting light show, LOL. I may start looking for a cheap, but not too cheap CB radio for my plow truck. Might be fun to mount a PA speaker in the lightbar's speaker housing. Maybe play cheezy Christmas music through the PA while plowing.

#15 ·
I know I keep preaching the NFPA 19 lighting deal... In a nutshell.. Says Reds/Blues/Clear can be ran facing front/both sides, Amber and all colors but clear to the rear if your on a street. (emergency vehicle stuff) The reason for no amber to the front is the not so bright people think that any amber to the front is a turn signal, Clear to the rear is a blinder!

Now being in a parking lot, Of Course use clear to the rear. Your on Private Property!!!

#18 · (Edited)
Eclipse;448622 said:
Sorry.

This makes me wonder then, using this logic, in a private parking lot we could run any color we want on our plow truck then? On private property none of the colors would be out of the question correct?
Its all good, You know I am not really sure what the jurestiction is in private parking lots. I suppose a phone call could clear things up because you have to account a lot of factors (Is the light visible from a public roadway, you'd be requesting the right of way on the property, etc)

- Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.