Snow Plowing Forum banner

dual battery set up

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JElmWin 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any pics of a dual battery set up on a new Dodge? I tried searching but couldnt find anything. I have a 04 1500 and the voltage drops every now and then and battery light comes on. I've also noticed when Im stopped at red lights with the heater on high the voltage drops below the mark in the middle of the gauge.

#4 ·
Sounds like you have a bad positive connection- are your terminals clean and solidly attached? Just the heater running should NEVER effect the volt meter noticibly.

#5 ·
Most off-road dual setups I've seen (that aren't under the hood) are located somewhere underneath. Having spent much time under mine I would say in front of or behind the rear wheels.

#9 ·
well Ive been comparing the "plow prep" and "tow prep" that dodge offers for their trucks. I know they refuse to plow prep the 1500's, so the tow is as close as you can get. The only difference is the plow offers a larger 750 amp alternator replacing the standard 600 something alternator.. Everything else is the same (same HD engine and tranny coolers, heavy duty suspention ect) I say try to find the larger alternator to supliment the power needs. Just my .02

#10 ·
Embalmer said:
well Ive been comparing the "plow prep" and "tow prep" that dodge offers for their trucks. I know they refuse to plow prep the 1500's, so the tow is as close as you can get. The only difference is the plow offers a larger 750 amp alternator replacing the standard 600 something alternator.. Everything else is the same (same HD engine and tranny coolers, heavy duty suspention ect) I say try to find the larger alternator to supliment the power needs. Just my .02
There a lot of differences that are not printed in the prep lists.

Like front spring rates of the 1500 as it has light front springs, the tow prep does not give you the stiffer front springs. you only get them in the plow prep. Tow prep does not get you the HDtransfer case It's an option or the power steering cooler.
I allso put an 2nd batt under the hood too, but there is no room on the newer Dodges under the hood with out moving a lot of stuff. you can a get a frame rail box for the batt at an truck accessory store, truck stop.
The HD service group offers a 136amp alt, aux tranny cooler, skid plate, and HD engine cooling.
Snow prep, Height adjustment springs, trans temp light, HD transfer caes.
Trailer prep, class Iv hitch, HD flasher, and 7-leadwiring.
(info from Dodge sales Boucher)

#13 ·
There's plenty of room. I would worry about all the salt & mud getting on the terminals. You could probably find a way to seal it in. If you search some of the off-road sites you'll see how they do under-carriage mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.