1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Battery Install Instructions for a Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by streetfrog, Jan 20, 2008.

1. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Dcpower.com

3. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

4. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Crazy - is that a Votage Sensitive Relay mounted there? If so - what brand? Assuming it is...to protect both batteries...

5. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Doh! I see that now.

No, it is just a standard relay to used to connect the batteries only while the truck is running.

6. XXL 4RUNNER

XXL 4RUNNER Member

Crazy, it's been about a month how's that alt working out so far ?? Also, can you explain your jump start switch? I'm doing this soon and like your setup. Does the switch energize the isolator? Because I thought when the ignition turned on the isolator turned on or does it turn on once alt voltage is shown? Thx alot

7. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

So far no complaints. The solenoid is energized, thus connecting the two batteries, when the key is on. With the key off the batteries are disconnected, so you could have one go dead and the other stay charged. The power for the isolator typically comes from the main battery, the switch is connected from the auxiliary battery to the positive of the solenoid in case the main battery goes dead while they are disconnected. Flip switch, start truck. :drinkup::drinkup:

8. XXL 4RUNNER

XXL 4RUNNER Member

Ah I gotcha, thanks man!

9. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

10. gman46

gman46 Junior Member
    from LA

I am VERY new to the forum, and I do not plow snow. Just searched on the dual battery setup and came across this phenomenal discussion (thanks to all that participated).

So here is my stupid question: I do not have a plow but have a winch (12k#), what requires more power, winch or plow?

I have a 2000 K2500 suburban that I want to run dual batts on, and wondering if isolator is better for my occasional winch/overhead LED bar use.

thanks much for responses and please pardon the lack of knowledge.

11. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I think an isolator would be IDEAL for what your using it for.

12. gman46

gman46 Junior Member
    from LA

Thank you very much for the quick response!

13. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Two quick questions. On the aux battery ground to engine block, should this be a separate location from the grounding cable to frame or can these two tie together at the engine block at the same spot (sorry if this seems dumb)? Also what guage ground wire should I use from engine block to frame? Thank you!

14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

In my truck is pos to pos and neg to neg

15. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Ok thanks! One more question anyway to install a guage (voltmeters) to tell if one battery is getting weaker over time. I would think as your pulling from the two batteries they would show the same voltage and die at the same rate, but wondered about something like this (without an isolator, but this would defeat the power in a way)?

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If the batts are hooked together, no way to tell which one would be getting weaker WITHOUT isolating one.
    Ground wire....I used 2g.

17. PLOWMAN45

i hope your adding 2 new and not i new and 1 old

18. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Ok that's what I thought as well. Thumbs Up

Yes, I am. Same size bought at exact same time Thumbs Up

wesport.

19. PLOWMAN45

my new truck came with 2 battery's now its 5 years im changing to interstate bats

20. OneManWithAPlow

OneManWithAPlow Senior Member

I ran everything for a dual battery setup. I currently have one older battery and ordered two new optima red tops. One is coming today the second is coming on Tuesday. Snow coming sunday. Can I run 1 new 1 old for the time being (2 days or so)? Plow setup to auxiliary...or would it be a better option to run the plow off of the auxiliary battery standalone for the two days without the batteries connected to each other (and no alternator to aux)?

Thanks