1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Battery Install Instructions for a Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by streetfrog, Jan 20, 2008.

1. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Will be picking up a 2003 2500 Burban with the 8.1 shortly, already looks pretty cramped under the hood. Anyone add or have a dual battery setup with the 8.1 stuffed in their truck?

2. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Look at the pics in post 228. Whether you have 6.0 or 8.1, the 2nd battery will sit on the right side diagonal to original battery.

3. Octane Outlaw

Octane Outlaw Junior Member

Great thread. It confirmed what I knew about duel batteries that we use in our demo derby cars. :p

One question though....I just picked up a 1998 Silverado w/5.7 vortex. How does one figure out how big of an alternator it has? I don't see any tags anywhere (without removing it). Would your basic multimeter be able to determine the output? If so what settings on the meter should I use?

many thanks...
    Jim

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

It's 105 or 124 amps I would guess. With the 124 being my guess. It should have a number on it where you can tell. Should be on the back where the battery cables connect.

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Take the VIN number to a dealer...They should be able to look it up...Or it should maybe be etched on the case ..

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

In the glovebox there is a sticker with the list of RPO codes. Google up an RPO decoder, feed them in, and see what equipment it came with, including alternator.

Or feed the VIN into compnine.com, if they're still providing free info.

7. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

2013 chevy 6l gas 2nd battery install.

I have the second battery installed. but id like to know what to do with chevys dumb idea for the oem battery post idea. its not normal. as the positive and neg post are sunk in the battery. and its not as easy as just cutting the ends off and installing different ends. as there is a 175amp fuse that branches off the pos battery post to feed the driver side fuse block. what have you done or a good idea? if they would have kept the side post idea this would be a no brainer idea........ but its a bit more work now....

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

9. chuckraduenz

looks like this...

[​IMG]

10. dieselss

No. It's on the firewall

11. chuckraduenz

mines not. its on the battery post terminal. but I want to change it to side post as I want to add a optima battery,.

12. Snowhoss

Snowhoss Junior Member
    from ct

I'm adding a second battery just like the orginal post. Should I use 2AWG from battery to battery or will I be ok with 4 or 6awg? I was going to run 6 off the alternator, and I dont think the plow wires are 2awg so do I really want 2awg battery to battery?

13. dieselss

Yes 2g all the way around. And add a 2g gnd wire to the atl mounting area. If you can right to the back of the alt would be great but the mounting bolts are ok too

14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Where exactly are you guys attaching the extra grounds to on the engine and frame?

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Engine,Frame and Fire wall..

16. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

So, I have seen a couple of post dealing with '10 and later chevys. I have an '10 6.0L. Did any one who added a second battery happen to keep a parts list they could post?

17. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Did dual batteries, the Big 3, and also upgraded the alternator to a 250amp/175 at idle. All 0 gauge wire, circuit breakers between the batteries and on the charge wire, and a continuous duty solenoid between the batteries with jump start switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

One word........................SWEET Top notch install. Can I ask what is the Big 3?
    I also see Duralast batteries. Have you had good luck wth them? Ill be needing new set before long.

Chris

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  19. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

The big 3 is upgrading the battery to alternator (charge wire), battery to block, and block to body grounds with larger cables. As far as the duralasts go, this is my first set. These are AGM batteries and have a 3 year warranty. From what I read they are made by the same company that makes Deka batteries which seem to have a good reputation.

20. XXL 4RUNNER

XXL 4RUNNER Member

250 amp alt ?! No kiddin, what brand? Where'd you buy it ? How's it holding up?