Snow Plowing Forum banner

dt466 international help

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  csi.northcoast 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 Int'l with a DT466. The problem is it stalls, I have had it to 2 truck mechanic shops and they can not find the problem, One day it will run great then it will act up (stall or low power), they have put checked pressure (fuel) and can't find anything. it has the usual new filters, etc...my only thought is the injector pump but the mechanis don't think so

#5 ·
We had the same problem with our 91 and after 2g found out that it was collapsed fuel line (inside of line - outside looked fine). Now I can't remeber if it was the supply line or one of the lines leading to or from the pump and/or injector but it was definitely a collapsed fuel line. Hope this helps. Are you getting a ton of air locks too? If so it sounds like the exact same problem we had. Hopefully you won't have too spend as much cash as we did diagnosing it!

#7 ·
check the fuel lines throughout the engine guys, they collapse internally - we had the exact same problem with ours and this was the cause of it

#8 ·
some have a oil pressure switch telling the fuel injection pump it has oil psi . if oil psi drops or faulty sender it will shut off. old oil will do it also

#9 ·
I had a problem years ago with a Cummins that drove me and several shops scratching their heads. I was covered under warranty which was a good thing. On the way to California I stopped for fuel in Reno. The next day in Sacremento the truck was cutting out, low power etc. Long story short 5 shops did everything imaginable. On the way into NY it did it again, stopped in this hole in the wall shop in PA. He looked down the fuel tank with a flash light and probed around with a welding rod. (unfluxed) Low and behold it was a round piece of foil used to seal fuel conditioner the size of a nickel. Evidently some wise ass put that foil inside the nozzle at the pump in Reno. Once removed the truck ran like a charm!
Also recently we had a Cat that had a kinked fuel line. These are things to look for.

#10 ·
How did you make out with the truck?

#11 ·
Well i finally got the truck back, turns out it was a fuel ine, and some crap in the lift pump. thanks guy for all your input, i just drove it back to my shop, so i did not give it the full test, but i got up to 65 with a half load of stone so that is a good sign

#12 ·
Thats good to hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.